French frogs

When I first started reading your post, I thought none of the other ducks made it, just the one. I was so sad. Then I read the rest and saw the pics!!! That one with the spotted feet...
love.gif
!!! What a cutie!! I didn't realize when I was suggesting about upping humidity late, that you had duck eggs in there!! I'm just thinking chicken eggs...I'm sorry.
hugs.gif
but seems like overall it was a great hatch!!
Have you hatched ever before?
It really depends on the quality. Find some good breeders, they will work with you. Do you have Facebook? There are tons of breeders and egg auctions on there. Also sometimes you can find good breeders on eBay. If you see the breeds you want, send the seller a message and start talking. Find out if they have a farm page you can see or if they are on BYC. I know a few BYCers that sell on eBay.
X2

I was really hoping to get 4, but I'm happy with the 3. Yes, the spotted feet are adorable. And don't feel bad for making a suggestion about the humidity. It really seemed the best way to go and the chicks hatched great. (they were more important to my buyer anyway) Every one of the lavenders hatched, so that's awesome! I'm not really sure if it affected the ducks, but they drew down really quickly. I said I wouldn't do it again, but maybe with a separate hatcher...
wink.png

Ruby, no never hatched before.

maybe I should make a trial run on some cheap eggs of just yard birds?

I think that would be a great option, if you have a place to keep them, or a way to get rid of them easily. We've seen people try to start out with really expensive eggs, and fail miserably.

maybe I should make  a trial run on some cheap eggs of just yard birds?

You could. You do learn a lot from the first hatch. But if you read hatching 101 thoroughly and follow it, you will do good. But shipped eggs have their own challenges. If you go the shipped route, do a lot of reading on shipped eggs. And try to get them from not to far away. I did shipped my first time from a BYC member and luckily they were fresh and did good but you gain so much first hand experience/knowledge from each hatch!

Welcome! 

I hate to ask this, but since I don't have any interest in breeding Am's, I haven't really done any research on them, so you guys are my library.  My question is.... what's the easiest "dead giveaway" that its not a true Am?? 

x2!  :D

We down-sized big time when we moved this last time.  Well, this "house" is much smaller.  Everything else, land, garages, out-buildings, etc greatly expanded!!   And I didn't even know chickens and ducks would take over my life at that point!  :lol:

Skin color is first... Am's should have white skin, most EE's have yellow skin... then feather color... ;)

Can I just sleep in a pup tent in your yard?.....:lau

Build me another coop and sure! :thumbsup

maybe I should make  a trial run on some cheap eggs of just yard birds?

Get some mutt local eggs first before trying shipped eggs... you do not want to try shipped first, trust me... find some cheap, you can always sell off what you hatch after you find what you really want... but you'll want to start with cheap eggs til you find out how to fine tune your bator... :)

I was really hoping to get 4, but I'm happy with the 3.  Yes, the spotted feet are adorable.  And don't feel bad for making a suggestion about the humidity.  It really seemed the best way to go and the chicks hatched great. (they were more important to my buyer anyway)  Every one of the lavenders hatched, so that's awesome!  I'm not really sure if it affected the ducks, but they drew down really quickly.  I said I wouldn't do it again, but maybe with a separate hatcher...  ;)

I think that would be a great option, if you have a place to keep them, or a way to get rid of them easily.  We've seen people try to start out with really expensive eggs, and fail miserably.  

You didn't mist the duck eggs right? How werr the air cells going into lockdown?
I don't like doing duck and chicken together... I'll start them that way, but by end of first week I want the ducks separated...

Skin color is first... Am's should have white skin, most EE's have yellow skin... then feather color...
wink.png

You didn't mist the duck eggs right? How werr the air cells going into lockdown?
I don't like doing duck and chicken together... I'll start them that way, but by end of first week I want the ducks separated...

Thanks on the Am info...

I did not mist the duck eggs. The bator was full, and didn't want to get the chicks wet. Do you mist?

The air cells were nice last Friday when I laid them down, maybe a tiny bit on the small side... but I didn't raise the humidity at that point. When I came home Sunday, all the air cells had drawn down quite a bit..

Welcome! 

I hate to ask this, but since I don't have any interest in breeding Am's, I haven't really done any research on them, so you guys are my library.  My question is.... what's the easiest "dead giveaway" that its not a true Am?? 
:frow
Sorry guys, rough day

Like Ravyn said, the legs are a dead giveaway, but the first thing I notice is color. Lack of a muff is also a sure sign, but a lot of EEs have muffs.
BR's hen has a lot of orange, and most of mine do, too. That's a very common EE color.
Like I've said before, I love EEs. Beautiful birds, and mine are some of my best layers, and the eggs are huge. Nothing wrong with them at all

well I'm happy to inform you fine feathered folks, that the project did get issued.

now that I've helped them with their project, mine is behind, and the schedule has been accelerated. End of the year bs. Got to spend all this money now!!!

Thanks on the Am info...

I did not mist the duck eggs.  The bator was full, and didn't want to get the chicks wet.   Do you mist?

The air cells were nice last Friday when I laid them down, maybe a tiny bit on the small side... but I didn't raise the humidity at that point.  When I came home Sunday, all the air cells had drawn down quite a bit..

I am misting now... been experimenting since I've had so many sets lately... going dry wasn't getting enough moisture out... so I tried misting one day to see what happened... it really does drop humidity... I didn't think it would, but after misting humidity went up for quite a while but by the end of the day, the humidity lowered a full 10%... so now I'm trying a slightly higher humidity than dry and misting...

frow.gif

Sorry guys, rough day

Like Ravyn said, the legs are a dead giveaway, but the first thing I notice is color. Lack of a muff is also a sure sign, but a lot of EEs have muffs.
BR's hen has a lot of orange, and most of mine do, too. That's a very common EE color.
Like I've said before, I love EEs. Beautiful birds, and mine are some of my best layers, and the eggs are huge. Nothing wrong with them at all

Thanks...

Hope your day gets better
hugs.gif

And since you're having a rough day, I'm going to ignore that window.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom