French frogs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by scflock, Nov 9, 2015.

1. LittleLakePhil

LittleLakePhil True BYC Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    I have a few more? Hahaha.....:lau.....:lol:....:gig

2. LittleLakePhil

LittleLakePhil True BYC Addict

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    I guess the corner of my property is kinda my outdoor man cave....;)

3. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I was really hoping to get 4, but I'm happy with the 3. Yes, the spotted feet are adorable. And don't feel bad for making a suggestion about the humidity. It really seemed the best way to go and the chicks hatched great. (they were more important to my buyer anyway) Every one of the lavenders hatched, so that's awesome! I'm not really sure if it affected the ducks, but they drew down really quickly. I said I wouldn't do it again, but maybe with a separate hatcher... [​IMG]

I think that would be a great option, if you have a place to keep them, or a way to get rid of them easily. We've seen people try to start out with really expensive eggs, and fail miserably.

1 person likes this.
  4. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    You could. You do learn a lot from the first hatch. But if you read hatching 101 thoroughly and follow it, you will do good. But shipped eggs have their own challenges. If you go the shipped route, do a lot of reading on shipped eggs. And try to get them from not to far away. I did shipped my first time from a BYC member and luckily they were fresh and did good but you gain so much first hand experience/knowledge from each hatch!

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Skin color is first... Am's should have white skin, most EE's have yellow skin... then feather color... ;)

Build me another coop and sure! :thumbsup

Get some mutt local eggs first before trying shipped eggs... you do not want to try shipped first, trust me... find some cheap, you can always sell off what you hatch after you find what you really want... but you'll want to start with cheap eggs til you find out how to fine tune your bator... :)

You didn't mist the duck eggs right? How werr the air cells going into lockdown?
    I don't like doing duck and chicken together... I'll start them that way, but by end of first week I want the ducks separated...

6. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Thanks on the Am info...

I did not mist the duck eggs. The bator was full, and didn't want to get the chicks wet. Do you mist?

The air cells were nice last Friday when I laid them down, maybe a tiny bit on the small side... but I didn't raise the humidity at that point. When I came home Sunday, all the air cells had drawn down quite a bit..

7. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    :frow
    Sorry guys, rough day

Like Ravyn said, the legs are a dead giveaway, but the first thing I notice is color. Lack of a muff is also a sure sign, but a lot of EEs have muffs.
    BR's hen has a lot of orange, and most of mine do, too. That's a very common EE color.
    Like I've said before, I love EEs. Beautiful birds, and mine are some of my best layers, and the eggs are huge. Nothing wrong with them at all

8. Tumbling K

Tumbling K Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    well I'm happy to inform you fine feathered folks, that the project did get issued.

now that I've helped them with their project, mine is behind, and the schedule has been accelerated. End of the year bs. Got to spend all this money now!!!

9. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

I am misting now... been experimenting since I've had so many sets lately... going dry wasn't getting enough moisture out... so I tried misting one day to see what happened... it really does drop humidity... I didn't think it would, but after misting humidity went up for quite a while but by the end of the day, the humidity lowered a full 10%... so now I'm trying a slightly higher humidity than dry and misting...

10. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Thanks...

Hope your day gets better [​IMG]

And since you're having a rough day, I'm going to ignore that window. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by