Friendly, Eye Candy Rooster- Brahma, Cochin or Cream Legbar? Or Something else?

No rooster for now- y'all convinced me! I may cancel the Cream Legbar Hen, too (they're over $30...each) and get something else. Easter Egger, Black Jersey Giant? Something else?'d consider an Ameracauna or Aracauna but they're not available at Meyer. There are two poultry swap meets within an hour of me on March 25th and April 22nd. Maybe I can get something locally.

I'm so tickled to find all you knowledgeable people!
Local feed stores have chicks all the time right now. Avoid the swaps, you may end up with disease or parasites depending on their restrictions. Don't worry about Ameraucana or Aracauna, just go with Easter Eggers, their affordable and available almost everywhere. Get a variety of whatever they have at the feed store. If you have a few stores in town, call them and ask what they have. It is usually different breeds from each other. Shipping is a hassle that has ended up with a lot of dead chicks for me, USPS really messes up my route. Could be different for you, and is different for many people. My 2 LFS (local feed stores) get fresh shipments with different breeds every 2 weeks right now. So many possibilities! 5 is my favorite size brood. 3 just isn't enough conversation, but 5 usually has lots of contented peeps with plenty of personality to smooth the dynamics and invite adventure.
yippiechickie.gif

No rooster for now- y'all convinced me! I may cancel the Cream Legbar Hen, too (they're over $30...each) and get something else. Easter Egger, Black Jersey Giant? Something else?'d consider an Ameracauna or Aracauna but they're not available at Meyer. There are two poultry swap meets within an hour of me on March 25th and April 22nd. Maybe I can get something locally.

I'm so tickled to find all you knowledgeable people!
Meyer does have Ameraucana, but they might be sold out for the season. Easter Eggers are great additions to any flock.

Back
Top Bottom