Frizzle x Brown Leghorn and Frizzle x Yokohama

ThoughtfulBiped

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2018
Last year I received an all black Frizzle from a neighbor, along with the rest of their flock which also included an all white Yokohama.

The Frizzle quickly, to my surprise, became one of my favorite chickens. I always thought they were silly but her quirky personality and funny sounds crept their way into my heart.

While out of town she was taken, along with my prized Fayumi female, by our local bobcat. Thankfully we were able to save two eggs from the Frizzle and hatched both successfully.

One of the chicks ended up expressing the Frizzle gene (Yay!), and was obviously the offspring of the Yokohama, being all black with a dash of white speckling on the wings and chest.

The other turned out to be something rather special and unexpected. Looking like a miniature Brown Leghorn with a slicked-back black crest, grey feathered feet, puffy cheeks, and five toes. She looks like a quail or pheasant more than a chicken and she is adorable. Her father must have been my Brown Leghorn x New Hampshire Red Rooster.

Wondering if anyone out there has an idea of how these genes were expressed as I would love to repeat them. Has anyone had random crosses like this, lost one of the parents and was still able to repeat the outcome later with different stock?

Still new to the breeding game, wondering how easy or difficult it is to repeat outcomes...

Thank you for your time and input.

Not to be rude or anything, but are you sure the hen was a Frizzle and not a Sizzle? I am just really confused, because you said the one chick has five toes, a crest, and feathered legs. Those are main traits of Silkies, and Sizzles are Silkie Frizzle crosses. Have a great day and God Bless!

Back
Top Bottom