FROM KIDS PLAY HOUSE TO CHICKEN COOP.

Rob Tof

Songster
5 Years
Jun 14, 2017
Conn
Started my build out mid April. Did lots of reading on here first.
First Found a place in my yard for coop and run. Reclaim my kids old trampoline for run.
Big day arrives Chicks reach 7 weeks move into coop.
i don't like coop is a pain to clean and get in with small door.
Addition up and out. Again lots of friends help
Add barn door
Add new pen door with lots of my friends welding help .
Finish up paint to Barn red (to do)
need to build nest boxes.
Need to reroof coop damaged when getting back on addition.
Last pic is wha the 100$ coop started out like.

Attachments

• IMG_2707.JPG
    IMG_2707.JPG
    786.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2706.JPG
    IMG_2706.JPG
    786.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2794.JPG
    IMG_2794.JPG
    574 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2795.JPG
    IMG_2795.JPG
    592.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2797.JPG
    IMG_2797.JPG
    675.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2602.PNG
    IMG_2602.PNG
    915.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Chickens can really become a addiction Easy.so far my running costs including chickens and feed is almost 600$ to date. Im keeping my eye out for a cheep used shed maybe 10x12. I'll pull it apart and rebuild on my place when next year ill expand out my flock. to 20 or so birds. That should give me enough extra eggs to trade for food. My goal is to have them pay for them selves. The time im enjoying getting out side.

Chickens can really become a addiction Easy.so far my running costs including chickens and feed is almost 600$ to date. Im keeping my eye out for a cheep used shed maybe 10x12. I'll pull it apart and rebuild on my place when next year ill expand out my flock. to 20 or so birds. That should give me enough extra eggs to trade for food. My goal is to have them pay for them selves. The time im enjoying getting out side.
The only return on investment I expect are the eggs...which I don't expect will ever cover the costs I've incurred to start and maintain this hobby. The real return on investment is the fact that I love the birds, their quirkyness, and the excited greetings I get whenever they see me. Not looking forward to the day I have to meet one on the dining room table but that's the circle of life for a barnyard animal.

The only return on investment I expect are the eggs...which I don't expect will ever cover the costs I've incurred to start and maintain this hobby. The real return on investment is the fact that I love the birds, their quirkyness, and the excited greetings I get whenever they see me. Not looking forward to the day I have to meet one on the dining room table but that's the circle of life for a barnyard animal.
I'm not looking for a return just to offset running costs. I have two friends that will provide feed once a month for eggs. Since I go threw two bags of feed per month. My birds just started to free range my yard, so food should go down a bit in the summer. If nothing else birds buy there own feed in trade. Next year I plan to add 8-10 more.

Back
Top Bottom