FROM KIDS PLAY HOUSE TO CHICKEN COOP.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rob Tof, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Rob Tof

Rob Tof Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2017
    Conn
    Started my build out mid April. Did lots of reading on here first.
    First Found a place in my yard for coop and run. Reclaim my kids old trampoline for run.
    Big day arrives Chicks reach 7 weeks move into coop.
    i don't like coop is a pain to clean and get in with small door.
    Addition up and out. Again lots of friends help
    Add barn door
    Add new pen door with lots of my friends welding help .
    Finish up paint to Barn red (to do)
    need to build nest boxes.
    Need to reroof coop damaged when getting back on addition.
    Last pic is wha the 100$ coop started out like.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    HUGHES555 and BYChickenAl like this.
  2. BYChickenAl

BYChickenAl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2017
    Troy, IL USA
    Reusing a trampoline frame was a great idea! I've seen all kinds of those things listed for free on craigslist.

Rob Tof likes this.
  3. Rob Tof

Jun 14, 2017
    Conn
    Chickens can really become a addiction Easy.so far my running costs including chickens and feed is almost 600$ to date. Im keeping my eye out for a cheep used shed maybe 10x12. I'll pull it apart and rebuild on my place when next year ill expand out my flock. to 20 or so birds. That should give me enough extra eggs to trade for food. My goal is to have them pay for them selves. The time im enjoying getting out side.

BYChickenAl likes this.
  4. BYChickenAl

BYChickenAl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2017
    Troy, IL USA
    The only return on investment I expect are the eggs...which I don't expect will ever cover the costs I've incurred to start and maintain this hobby. The real return on investment is the fact that I love the birds, their quirkyness, and the excited greetings I get whenever they see me. Not looking forward to the day I have to meet one on the dining room table but that's the circle of life for a barnyard animal.

5. Rob Tof

Jun 14, 2017
    Conn
    I'm not looking for a return just to offset running costs. I have two friends that will provide feed once a month for eggs. Since I go threw two bags of feed per month. My birds just started to free range my yard, so food should go down a bit in the summer. If nothing else birds buy there own feed in trade. Next year I plan to add 8-10 more.

BYChickenAl likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by