Front Porches

Cynthia~ That rose is beautiful!

miss Prissy~ love the rockers and ferns. If my dogs stop chewing on wood I want to put some rockers like that on the porch. I may have to add ferns too!
big_smile.png

This thread is giving me great ideas. So much work needs done here on flowers and I couldn't do anything this past year! I'm excited for spring now!

Last edited:
Julie, I love your flower beds, but most won't grow here in thick shade at 2000 ft elevation without alot of work.
That wicker on my porch was left here by the deceased owner's family and is in dire need of painting. I need some nice rockers, too! I have so many roses here from my long dead grandmother's farm that ramble on fences and I have no idea what they are-took ages to hunt down the variety name Minnehaha. If you know what these are, let me know-more once-a-year bloomers.
DCP_2484.jpg

Those pinky white's look like the wild roses that grew up and down the dirt roads where I am from in Ga. I cut alot of them and had a trellis full that ran the full length of my porch back in Ga. I miss them. We have something similar here that is growing over one of the overgrown boxwoods that I am trying to cultivate. The blossom is smaller though.

Miss Prissy Love your Porch and house. I love ferns hanging. I just can't figure out what to do with the ferns in the winter here. I hate cleaning up after them in the house. I am just not as good with potted plants.
Cyn I love your Rose. I love old timey roses. I have a lot of knock out roses simply because they are continual bloomers here. I have roses from the end of Feb to Dec. No care except prunning.
I want to put a Cherokee Rose on our picket fence in the front when we get it up.

Julie, I give them a full hair cut. I leave about 2 - 3 inches growth and nothing more. I put them in the cellar and wait for spring. I hate cleaning up behind them when they are brought in for late fall. i asked around at many nurseries and was told to do it this way. So far so good. All of those plants came from 2 ferns.

Your porch looks so cool and inviting. I bet ferns would grow lush in your shadey places on the porch.

I have TONS of deer around here. They don't seem to eat the ones on the fence too much, maybe the scent of my dog? I do have netting over many plants like my azaleas I'm trying to get established-they came through and razored off all the buds last year, so I netted many of them. They're pretty brazen, that's for certain. If I want to be sure they don't eat something, I have to put a net over it or pie pans swinging on it or a fence around it. Most of my fruit trees have fence barriers around them or swinging CD's, pie pans, garlic tied up in netting or hosiery hanging from them. We try to co-exist, LOL. Well, I do anyway.

Speaking of rockers. Does anyone else have trouble with rocking chairs crawling? I had 2 regular big rockers on the porch and everytime someone would sit in them and rock they would have to keep moving them back. I finally replaced them with the platform rockers. Is there anyway to stop them from crawling when you rock?

Jacie

PS: Everyone's flowers are just beautiful. Mine are all fairly new since we've only been here 2 years but I'm looking forward to everything maturing.

Back
Top Bottom