Frostbite

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jill, Feb 15, 2007.

1. jill

jill New Egg

Jan 24, 2007
    Help! I have a beautiful Japanese rooster and he's gotten frostbitten on his comb as it is dark. Do I treat this? If so, how/with what? Will it be beautiful again?

Thank you for any help/advice.

2. Deanw

Deanw Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2007
    Rub vaseline or another kind of petroleum jelly on it, rub on a genorous amount, it will help it, not sure if it will be beautiful again I guess that depends on how bad it is.

Dean

3. jill

jill New Egg

Jan 24, 2007
    Thank you, Dean. I smeared some on him and hopefully it will look better someday. I was hoping it wouldn't get yucky and kill him eventually and no one told me that, so that too is good news even if it doesn't look beautiful again. I also made sure there wouldn't be any more drafts (I guess that's what got him) and turned on a lamp last night in their building.? It's been so cold for a few days in a row. Am looking forward to the early spring that the gopher predicted:)

4. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I live in Minnesota and have had frostbite on all of my roosters and some of the hens combs, (and my feet!) and it's never bothered them. So I very much doubt it'll kill him.[​IMG] The top of the affected spikes might scab up and fall off so he might not be quite as pretty as he was, but he won't mind.[​IMG]

Many here use lights to heat their coops, just a word of caution, there have been many fires as a result of lights that have fallen or dirty sockets and bulbs. So make sure it's secured so it can't get knocked over. Also if you expect to use it for a long period of time, it might be a good idea to invest in a red heat lamp, or an infrared bulb like they use for reptiles. The bright white light will mess with the chickens reproduction.

Here's hoping your guy will have a speedy recovery.[​IMG] I love the looks of those Japanese roosters, makes me wish I had more room in the coop!

5. Rooster lover 98

Rooster lover 98 New Egg

Oct 9, 2017
    do u have a pic

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by