fuzzi's Chicken Journal

Pics
I've been reading the care guide that Cackle emailed to me. Most of it I already learned from raising the Sussex chicks, but am seeing new information regarding shipped chicks:
  1. Put them under the heat immediately - check
  2. Offer water next - check
  3. Water should be warmed to about 100° as drinking cool water might chill their bodies more - THIS I DID NOT KNOW! ...makes sense.
  4. Put a paper towel on the brooder floor and sprinkle chick crumbles on it...makes sense
They also want me to use a heating lamp, but I don't think I would switch from the MHP when it worked so well with the first batch of chicks.

The USPS tracking information is saying delivery by Monday... MONDAY?!?! Cackle's FAQ mentions that the USPS tracking is often way off... don't panic!

:fl

They also want me to use a heating lamp, but I don't think I would switch from the MHP when it worked so well with the first batch of chicks.

I don't know about the MHP, but sometimes a brooder plate, while excellent for keeping chicks warm (and I've taken mine out of the incubator into near-freezing temperatures with my dual-heat setup), isn't adequate to rewarm chicks that have been chilled during shipping.

This is why several hatcheries recommend the heat lamps -- because they warm the ambient air and the chicks don't have to be in contact with them to get warm.

Last night I noticed a deer in the woods, not more than 30' away from the coop.

Tonight I saw the tail end of a black snake, disappearing under the shed. Every few days I've been walking the perimeter of the coop looking for entry points but haven't seen any to date.
:fl

I don't know about the MHP, but sometimes a brooder plate, while excellent for keeping chicks warm (and I've taken mine out of the incubator into near-freezing temperatures with my dual-heat setup), isn't adequate to rewarm chicks that have been chilled during shipping.

This is why several hatcheries recommend the heat lamps -- because they warm the ambient air and the chicks don't have to be in contact with them to get warm.
Aha! That, too, makes sense.

However, I don't have a heat lamp.

Just before sunset.
IMG_20230412_180437708~2.jpg

They're still sleeping under the dog house at night... ;)

If you don't have a lamp, turn on your MHP well before arrival so the bedding underneath is nice and toasty as well.
I've put shipped chicks under heating pad caves and they did fine, but I've seen where some folks did have trouble, so just check on them to see if they know to get under there.

If you don't have a lamp, turn on your MHP well before arrival so the bedding underneath is nice and toasty as well.
I've put shipped chicks under heating pad caves and they did fine, but I've seen where some folks did have trouble, so just check on them to see if they know to get under there.
Thanks!

I turned on the MHP a couple days ago (to make sure it was still working) and have already put plenty of clean straw underneath and around it, so that's done. Starting tomorrow I'm home for a three day weekend so I can keep an eye on them as well.
:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom