fuzzi's Chicken Journal

I have reread a ton of posts on here about rooster attacks.

Bottom line for me: I could handle a sneaky peck from behind, but I will not tolerate an open attack on my face.

I have eggs to hatch, hopefully with a broody.

If not, I have a breeder in Florida who has offered to send me one of her cockerels.

It's a shame, as Samuel had developed into a very good looking rooster.
View attachment 3757711
He is a handsome boy.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I wish I had a great solution/answers for you, but for me, when something like this happens, I cull.
It really really stinks to cull a rooster that has a lot going for him and that you are attached to as well. Been there done that a few times and it's not easy...:hugs

He is a handsome boy.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I wish I had a great solution/answers for you, but for me, when something like this happens, I cull.
It really really stinks to cull a rooster that has a lot going for him and that you are attached to as well. Been there done that a few times and it's not easy...:hugs
Thank you. I'm not as attached to Samuel as I was to Joel, who was a lap chick. Samuel has always been standoffish, which should have worked well for our relationship.

I'm planning on getting some food coloring for the Sussex hens (blue or green) so I can identify purebred Sussex eggs before Samuel is culled. In the meanwhile I have been carrying a bottle of water that I splash over Samuel if he approaches me.

No issues today, Samuel gave me a wide berth. I don't think he liked me throwing water all over him yesterday and Sunday.
:oops:

Guess what?!? My Speckled Sussex are ONE YEAR OLD TODAY!

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

IMG_20240227_172750223~2.jpg

The Dominiques are 6 weeks younger than the Sussex, but they're suddenly developing a fuller look, and are actually larger than the Sussex now.

I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work with the intention of purchasing some food coloring to mark the Sussex. They had a three pack of yellow (nope), red (NOPE!), and blue for about $5. If I wanted green it was a separate bottle for another $5. I am ordering from the A website instead, an 8 pack of assorted colors.

I know I should NOT use red to mark a hen's vent, was planning on using blue and green and one other color. I could use violet.

Do you think pink or orange would be too close to red?

71gccgnMWTL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_~2.jpg

I've seen many of my hens and pullets put straw, leaves, etc., on their back when walking around and while in nesting boxes. Perhaps it's some type of nesting behavior, but I can't say for sure. I like to watch them do that though, it's interesting.
Yeah, hens do this a lot and nobody really understands why it seems. My husband likes to say/joke they are camouflaging themselves :rolleyes:

Yeah, hens do this a lot and nobody really understands why it seems. My husband likes to say/joke they are camouflaging themselves :rolleyes:
I could very well be an attempt to camouflage!

Happy Birthday to Fuzzi's Flock!!!:wee

Pink or orange may be more noticeable, hard to know. If your girls have nice fluff covering their bums, then a small smear of color just on the lip of the vent may not be noticeable. I've seen some people use lipstick (of course it was something like green or blue). I've used bluekote.

Good idea getting the eggs marked. If he's an active boy, the girls should still lay fertilized eggs for a couple of weeks after he's gone. **Should** but it's not a guarantee how long eggs will be fertile.

I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work with the intention of purchasing some food coloring to mark the Sussex. They had a three pack of yellow (nope), red (NOPE!), and blue for about $5. If I wanted green it was a separate bottle for another $5. I am ordering from the A website instead, an 8 pack of assorted colors.

I know I should NOT use red to mark a hen's vent, was planning on using blue and green and one other color. I could use violet.

Do you think pink or orange would be too close to red?

View attachment 3759068

Back
Top Bottom