Fuzzy-Butt Update PIC HEAVY

Schultz

CluckN'Crow Farm
11 Years
Aug 5, 2008
Indianapolis
We have a broody hen that has been sitting on 3 eggs for about 21 days. After church this morning, my husband checked on the hen and there was a baby chick. Now we have questions on what to do. Should we leave it with the mother and will she be able to keep it warm enough. She is in an enclosed part of our garage that is currently 60 degrees and stays heated with a space heater. Or would it be better to seperate it from the mother and bring it inside to be able to regulate the heat under a lamp? Does anyone have any suggestions that we can put into action right away? Thanks! We are on our way to get pics now!

Last edited:
Pics
DSC03197.jpg

smile.png

DSC03199.jpg

big_smile.png

DSC03200.jpg

smile.png

DSC03202.jpg

big_smile.png

DSC03201.jpg

smile.png

DSC03205.jpg

I am going through the same thing now with my babies under their mom. She is keeping them very warm and they seem comfortable being under her. I have a lot of the same questions, so I will be awaiting the answers as well!

I have a baby that hatched yesterday that look almost identical! What a pretty baby!
love.gif

Thanks and congrats on yours. This little chick was laid by one of our game hens. I hope we both get the answers we need.

I would leave the chick with the hen. Do you have anymore eggs under the mama? If so, the hen will stay on the nest until the others are hatched. She will keep the baby warm and protected. That is nature's way. If for some reason the hen rejects the chick, then I would bring it inside and put it in a brooder. Just check on them periodically. If the hen is doing her her mama duties, I would just let them be. Good Luck!
smile.png

Thank you for the comment!
I want to leave the chick with the mother but we are worried most about the temps and what will happen once all of the eggs hatch and the mother isn't so apt to warm them. How long do they need to stay that warm? I also wondered if anyone could suggest a good chick feed from TSC?

Quote:
Ours too, came from a game hen, but they look like EE's! The are crossed with a cochin, but neither breeds look like this as babies!

SDC10340.jpg

SDC10341.jpg

I am trying to figure out what I am going to do with Momma and her babies!

Ours too, came from a game hen, but they look like EE's! The are crossed with a cochin, but neither breeds look like this as babies!

Awww what a cutie. Yep they could be siblings.

Back
Top Bottom