Gander throwing up!

Aimeeg1986

Songster
Dec 28, 2020
Hi my 2yr old gander throws up clear liquid once or twice a day it’s been happening for the last week with no obvious cause, sometimes it’s more liquid and sometimes it’s like egg whites but he’s fine in himself still eating and pooing still walking around fine and still his sassy self, I’ve made sure everything around him is clean I’ve checked his food for contamination and he gets more water changes per day with poultry tonic to give him a boost, has anyone had this I’m getting concerned.

What do his droppings look like? Are they bubbly? Do they sometimes have mucous in them? Have you noticed odd colors like yellow, orange, red, black, or neon grass green in them?

Have you noticed any changes to his voice?

What feed is he eating?

If you can do a physical exam on him try to feel his lower intestinal area, at the base of his tail you’ll feel two bulbs, that’s the rear of his pelvis, lower down you’ll feel his ribcage, just between the two you might feel a gooey lump, if you feel a roundish hard mass or if you feel it bubbling he has a swollen intestine, a sign of an infection.

What do his droppings look like? Are they bubbly? Do they sometimes have mucous in them? Have you noticed odd colors like yellow, orange, red, black, or neon grass green in them?

Have you noticed any changes to his voice?

What feed is he eating?

If you can do a physical exam on him try to feel his lower intestinal area, at the base of his tail you’ll feel two bulbs, that’s the rear of his pelvis, lower down you’ll feel his ribcage, just between the two you might feel a gooey lump, if you feel a roundish hard mass or if you feel it bubbling he has a swollen intestine, a sign of an infection.
His poop is normal, there is no change to his voice and he’s on grass, greens and pellets, nothing is being done differently. Thanks for your response

Nope, no sneezing or eye foam, he is literally 100% apart from the throwing up.
With mine that have thrown up it’s usually do to a lower intestinal infection that slows down their digestion, or as a reaction to something seriously irritating their esophagus.
Throwing up is in no way normal for a goose so I think something is going on but if he’s otherwise completely normal I’d say just watch him, if he starts showing signs of depression “not as energetic, sitting around on one leg or laying down more often, not as interactive, eating less” then whatever it is is progressing.
If that doesn’t happen maybe it’s something in his environment that’s irritating his throat, something in the feed or water, something he’s been chewing on, mold he’s breathing in, something.

You could also get him on a round of corid just to be safe, or get him some probiotics and apple cider vinegar “with the mother.)
ACV isnt as acidic as stomach acid so it won’t kill any microbes or parasites but it probiotic concentration can combat bad bacteria which is actually why it’s sometimes helpful with intestinal ailments in birds, it can clear out his throat.

With mine that have thrown up it’s usually do to a lower intestinal infection that slows down their digestion, or as a reaction to something seriously irritating their esophagus.
Throwing up is in no way normal for a goose so I think something is going on but if he’s otherwise completely normal I’d say just watch him, if he starts showing signs of depression “not as energetic, sitting around on one leg or laying down more often, not as interactive, eating less” then whatever it is is progressing.
If that doesn’t happen maybe it’s something in his environment that’s irritating his throat, something in the feed or water, something he’s been chewing on, mold he’s breathing in, something.

You could also get him on a round of corid just to be safe, or get him some probiotics and apple cider vinegar “with the mother.)
ACV isnt as acidic as stomach acid so it won’t kill any microbes or parasites but it probiotic concentration can combat bad bacteria which is actually why it’s sometimes helpful with intestinal ailments in birds, it can clear out his throat.
I’m not sure that it’s slowed down his digestion he’s still pooping quite adequately the volume has not gone down, I’ve started to put acv in his water but yes I will keep an eye on him thank you and I will try and get him the other stuff but for some reason the uk doesn’t do much stuff for geese.

I’m not sure that it’s slowed down his digestion he’s still pooping quite adequately the volume has not gone down, I’ve started to put acv in his water but yes I will keep an eye on him thank you and I will try and get him the other stuff but for some reason the uk doesn’t do much stuff for geese.
Alright, so if you can’t find corid (amprolium) you could try Toltrazuril, Toltrazuril will kill coccidia in 3 days, it’s typically sold for horses but sometimes for goats too but works perfectly fine in geese, I actually prefer it to corid because it’s more effective.

Alright, so if you can’t find corid (amprolium) you could try Toltrazuril, Toltrazuril will kill coccidia in 3 days, it’s typically sold for horses but sometimes for goats too but works perfectly fine in geese, I actually prefer it to corid because it’s more effective.
Ok great I’ll have a look, is the dosage in the bottle for geese?

Would this work?

Attachments

• 2E261069-0827-4D8B-B896-2550FC9D8D8D.png
    2E261069-0827-4D8B-B896-2550FC9D8D8D.png
    663.4 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom