A recent batch of tomato goodies all ready to put in the pantry:
DSCN5108.JPG

A recent batch of tomato goodies all ready to put in the pantry:
View attachment 1518749
didn't think to take a picture of mine, just went ahead and put them away but then all i've canned has been tomato soup and whole tomatoes, i'll probably can more whole tomatoes but everything else we eat while its here, picked kentucky blues this morning and sent a mess over to friends that don't have a garden this year, husband had a stroke last year and its all she can do to keep the grass mowed, thought they might enjoy some beans and tomatoes so my husband took them over while i snapped ours
what goodies did you can? can't really tell, eyes are getting kinda bad but they do look good

went out this morning and picked kentucky blue wonders, had to have husband prop up the hog panel they're climbing one they're so heavy that its falling to the ground, bug were bad even tho i sprayed myself with bug spray(with 40% deet, only kind that keep the nasties from biting me) now i stink so have to go wash it off, also picked cucumbers and eating tomatoes, my cucumber vines are starting to die so won't be long and we'll have eaten all of them, i think to late in the year to start more, what do y'all think?

Like nothing... Perlite. My tomatoes and peppers grow hydroponically, it was the only solution I found to get a decent tomato in VA. The weather here isn't that much different then VA, but it does have a higher heat index and my plants start dying off in July. I'm going to add some shade cloth next year and see if that helps.
Mine are still producing, garden is partly shaded.

didn't think to take a picture of mine, just went ahead and put them away but then all i've canned has been tomato soup and whole tomatoes, i'll probably can more whole tomatoes but everything else we eat while its here, picked kentucky blues this morning and sent a mess over to friends that don't have a garden this year, husband had a stroke last year and its all she can do to keep the grass mowed, thought they might enjoy some beans and tomatoes so my husband took them over while i snapped ours
what goodies did you can? can't really tell, eyes are getting kinda bad but they do look good
Pizza/marinara (just has chopped garlic, basil, sea salt); thick tomato sauce; taco sauce. That is the last of the tomato canning this year.

A few weeks ago, made ketchup and tomato juice.

Pizza/marinara (just has chopped garlic, basil, sea salt); thick tomato sauce; taco sauce. That is the last of the tomato canning this year.

A few weeks ago, made ketchup and tomato juice.
now thats a great idea, i never thought of marinara sauce, going to have to try that, i have plenty of garlic and basil and of course i have sea salt, both white and pink, thank you for the idea

Concord grapes are ready for jam. Going to try making with just grapes as the only ingredient, and use some of the unripe ones for pectin.
sounds interesting, i made just juice a couple of years ago and canned it, haven't used it yet, i'm not suppose to have sugar so jelly or jam is out for me unless i use a sub for the sugar and to be honest, just not worth it for just me as i don't eat much jelly or jam:idunno

Back
Top Bottom