I know what that is like having grown up in SW PA. We did not provide supplemental heating to our poultry back then either. We did not have problems with them during the cold times.
I don't either.
In the photo, the roo on the right was a large straight blade comb. Now he looks like the pea comb roo on the left.

5 Of my 8 pet chickens are Bantams. 3 of the Banties are Serama. Seramas do not tolerate cold as well as the other chickens.
All my chickens are in WINTER housing until about March, when they will go into outdoor coop again. In March , by me,, the daytime temps are usually above freezing. Overnight temps below freezing are fine, since they are roosting inside protected coop. Like I stated in my pervious post,,, I only warm up to about 32°F. This way things do not get frosted with ice crystals, and since some started laying eggs again,,,,,,, EGGS ARE NOT FROZEN AND BROKEN.:frow

bruceha2000

Mt. Washington broke a Record the other day. I know you are in adjacent state,, but those states are small , so Mt. Washington probably just a stones throw from you.
image_2023-02-07_140417977.png

Back
Top Bottom