• Yes!!!

Votes: 45 95.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Probably not

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Pics
I just started 58 cucumbers (add or take a few) in the greenhouse! The varieties are Mexican Sour Gherkin (tiny cucumbers that taste a little like lemons, we didn't have luck with them last year), National Pickling, Sumter, and Armenian (a family favorite!). The plan is to grow them out and keep the best, and sell the rest as starts!

The variety of beans I planted the other day are peeping up! But I realized I forgot where I put each variety 😋, I guess we'll be surprised!

The Japanese Giant Red Mustard I planted the other day have sprouted, and the seeds from the lettuce variety pack did too!

Tomorrow or the day after I will plant melons, cantaloupe, and pumpkins!

I just started 58 cucumbers (add or take a few) in the greenhouse! The varieties are Mexican Sour Gherkin (tiny cucumbers that taste a little like lemons, we didn't have luck with them last year), National Pickling, Sumter, and Armenian (a family favorite!). The plan is to grow them out and keep the best, and sell the rest as starts!

The variety of beans I planted the other day are peeping up! But I realized I forgot where I put each variety 😋, I guess we'll be surprised!

The Japanese Giant Red Mustard I planted the other day have sprouted, and the seeds from the lettuce variety pack did too!

Tomorrow or the day after I will plant melons, cantaloupe, and pumpkins!
Doing Mexican Sour Gherkins this year too! I figure they'll be the perfect snack while walking around the garden, it'll help keep me from eating all the tomatoes.

Has anybody tried soaking their seeds before planting? I just heard about this and am about to give it a shot!

Some seeds benefit from this, while others will drown. Larger seeds typically do fine, just don't go over 24hrs. Another trick is nicking the surface of the seed. I typically only soak my nasturtiums & okra.

I've been enjoying a spell of 70's the past few days after over 3' of snow just 3 weeks ago. Hard to not start planting but I've fallen for that before. Zone 5B so we wait...
I moved last year so I've spent time building raised beds, painting the bunny proof enclosed garden and augmenting the soil. Now if I could only get the rototiller running... Going to keep it simple this year. The perennial bed will have raspberries, asparagus and herbs. Raspberries will be my greatest challenge. I'll stick with the tried and true vegetables this year. Those that are prolific and my family eat. Honey butternut, pole beans, oxhart tomatoes, pineapple tomatoes, sweet 100, zucchini, patty pans, leeks, shallots, cukes, garlic. I get sick of zucchini just like everyone else but you can't beat it as a cheap abundant feed for geese and chickens. I'm sure I'm missing something but I have one 8' bed that isn't committed yet. My one new will be gerkins or cacamelon. Has anyone pickled cacamelon? Concerned that the skin is not thick enough to hold up. No one likes a mushy pickle!

Hi I just joined this thread! Super excited to start a garden and actually will be my first one! I have ducks and will be getting chickens soon and curious what are some good plants to have that attract bugs I can put by their coop so they have something to eat for snacks?
Don't bother. The bugs will find your garden. I got chickens because the grasshoppers we're wiping out most of my garden every year. By the second year of chickens the grasshoppers were under control. Placing the compost bin where the chickens have access to it will offer bugs and larvae to compliment their diet. Control the bugs before they become a problem.

Has anybody tried soaking their seeds before planting? I just heard about this and am about to give it a shot!
I soak all my seeds that are big enough to pick up individually. Peas, beans, squash... Even if it's just for an hour while I prep the area, it's got to give them a jumpstart.

Back
Top Bottom