1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

gasing - washington post story

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by greenfeathers, Jun 29, 2016.

1. greenfeathers

greenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2016
    People's Republic of MD
  2. eviemethugh

eviemethugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    North Carolina
    Hmmm the part about whole foods switching to slow grow breeds by 2024 feels like such a cop out. It would only take a couple of years tops to switch out where all of their chickens come from...why do they need 8 years? Oh probably to see how it effects sales and change their minds. Its a tale as old as time: customer asks for heritage breed, customer receives overpriced bird, customer asks where the heck the white meat is, customer realizes the two things they want cannot co-exist.

The photo of the size difference made me smile, those are my cute little (um okay HUGE) X babies!

3. Eric 2016

Eric 2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Good article. I completely agree with getting rid of growth hormones and antibiotics, but I truly don't have an issue with a fast growing hybrid or cutting their throats.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Growth hormones in chickens have been illegal since the late 1950’s in the US. Google it and confirm it. They are still used in beef and some other animals but not in chickens. That’s a myth that just won’t die.

I agree with you on antibiotics, don’t use them as a preventative and only use them if there is a truly specific need.

5. Eric 2016

Eric 2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    My mistake, it says growth antibiotics, which honestly I'm not sure what that would mean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by