Gave a rooster away and he left that place

schoenherr

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 4, 2013
Paynesville, Minnesota
We had a Polish rooster and he started getting mean. He would attack us so we gave him to another farm. We kept him in a coop and a fenced in run. He stayed in a dog carrier at their house for 2 days. Their chickens have a building but then open to free range. When the opened his dog carrier, he calmly walked out and kept right on walking. He did not run or act nerveous just kept walking one direction. I think he was looking for home. Will he go back where he was and had fresh water and food?

Its been a while since you posted, did he come home? His chances get slimmer the longer he's out.
If he has a large crest, he may have just blindly walked off. The Polish I've had weren't the sharpest tools in the shed, to put it nicely. They would get confused if I moved the food or water and walk into things (they didn't see well and a trim would set them right).

Last edited:
Her son found him that evening over the hill he walked sitting on an old manure spreader. The boy walked up to him and just picked him up. She said he did not struggle or make a noise. He brought him back to the chicken coop and sat him down. The first thing our rooster did was pick a fight with another rooster. After he whooped him he strutted around and flapped his wings like he was real proud. I guess it is sort of like going to prison. You whoop someone and then others leave you alone. He had make his mark! We laughed when we heard this. Yep, that is our Prince!

Back
Top Bottom