I've been thinking about this a lot lately, I'd like to focus on Dewlap Toulouse, Sebbies, and Super Africans. But of course my 'start' with that, I ended up with all-male sebbies (their temperament is meh) and all-female dewlaps (who are so stinkin beautiful and lovely). I might try to map out grey/splash sebbies so I at least have something to work on with my other geese. A part of me just wants to collect them all and be a supporter of the breeds 😅, but then again I want to get to a point where all the animals are helping to pay for themselves.

I'll be looking forward to seeing all your hatchlings!

I'd like to increase the size on Tufted Romans. Now it sure seems hatcheries are not selling the Roman standards in the Tufteds, such as orange vs pink feet and beaks.

So I have two Embden geese, though I only planned to pair my Roman Tufted gander with one, now I'm not sure as they both have good traits. Nessie has good form, but Sissie has great size.

I'll be looking forward to seeing all your hatchlings!

I'd like to increase the size on Tufted Romans. Now it sure seems hatcheries are not selling the Roman standards in the Tufteds, such as orange vs pink feet and beaks.

So I have two Embden geese, though I only planned to pair my Roman Tufted gander with one, now I'm not sure as they both have good traits. Nessie has good form, but Sissie has great size.
I learned when I started hatcheries really just sell the most productive geese. Not really a competitive show goose. But you have a great start. Find a true breeder and bring a new bird from them into your flock. The best way to find one is to visit poultry shows, do work on line, Join a facebook group that is breed only. Do research from breeder lists on Livestock conservatory or even poultry show central. Then make a connection and work with them to find the one bird that can improve yours.
You never have to start over kinda how poultry works. You just add to your flock to get to your goal.
Its about whats in your heart. And you love what you have. And about where you want to go.

I rescued two geese just over a month and a half ago. Very little info on either one. But the Chinese is a beautiful gander. I believe my American buff is a goose
We are in the process of selling and buying more property, so it’s just them for now. They’ve had a rough life it seems and so I’m letting them just hang out.
What will be the result or possible results of a pairing like this? Viable goslings?

because I hatch goslings to eat and nothing else.
Gay Gasp.jpg

Get out of here looking at my fuzzy cuties, imagining their peeps. lol You want to eat them and not cuddle them. lol

Romans are supposed to be small and orange feet are acceptable. But a lot of judges don’t know this and only pick the pink ones.

Anyway, I’m trying to breed to the Standard with my American Buffs but they aren’t very good to begin with. I like them as pets though so if that doesn’t work, I don’t mind.

Romans are supposed to be small and orange feet are acceptable. But a lot of judges don’t know this and only pick the pink ones.

Anyway, I’m trying to breed to the Standard with my American Buffs but they aren’t very good to begin with. I like them as pets though so if that doesn’t work, I don’t mind.
My buff is beautiful. I’d love to find her a buff gander someday
4B19FC93-D03F-4308-BBDF-C1DC907FFA7D.jpeg
625FBAA1-7A74-40F7-B55E-3CF9450D1078.jpeg

My Roman is jumping one of my Embdens, but I think he's too small to get a handle on it yet. Not sure how this is going to work...

My focus is Buff Saddleback Pomeranians. It's what I've always loved, and according to the Livestock Conservancy, Pomeranian geese are Critical. My end goal would be to get them closer to the SOP, however, right now I'm just trying to get enough of stock actually bred and hatched out that I can go forward from there because there just need to be more of these wonderful geese out in the world.

Literally according to the Livestock Conservancy website, there's only one breeder listed online that has Pom geese within 200 miles of me. Now I know there's got to be other people that have them but for some reason I can't find them.

I'm gonna make sure my soapbox stays in the broom closet before it tries to fly out and I just immediately hop on it. Ya'll should know by now I'm super passionate about this breed. (And if ya didn't well now you know). I'm hopeful that I'll get some better looking stock soon so I can sell off the ones that just don't work and focus in on the ones that do. All my geese are from a single hatchery, and as much as I'd love to get some goslings from Sandhill I just can't afford $30 a gosling right now (Plus I honestly do prefer it when the geese handle everything themselves, all I gotta do is make sure I have the right feed in there and that the kiddos don't hurt themselves and we're good!)

This info is all helpful. I'm getting three Cotton Patch goslings in a few months. My hope is to begin breeding and selling goslings next year. I plan to leave everybody together (this trio, my current trio of Toulouse, and my ducks) until breeding time. The Cottons will then be separated into a separate pen. In theory. Hopefully.

I'm so new to geese, but if I do end up breeding, I'd probably breed for temperament and whatever SOP traits I find when my goslings grow. If I need to add more/different birds, I can always contact the same breeder.

She carries geese from 2 different lines. Is it better to keep breeding from the same line, or to mix lines with a focus on breeding for specific traits?

Back
Top Bottom