I'm ready for mating season to be over.
I nearly got charged by one of the youngsters yesterday... I feel this... She nearly learned a very hard lesson of "You do not charge Dad." She made smart choices and didn't though so we're good. (Still not ruling out christmas goose since she's not sitting on anything yet... )

But I have no less than 2 girls sitting on eggs, might actually have three! I'm excited and nervous, and well everything. Gotta get fencing repairs done or else we're gonna have goslings everywhere... again...

I nearly got charged by one of the youngsters yesterday... I feel this... She nearly learned a very hard lesson of "You do not charge Dad." She made smart choices and didn't though so we're good. (Still not ruling out christmas goose since she's not sitting on anything yet... )

But I have no less than 2 girls sitting on eggs, might actually have three! I'm excited and nervous, and well everything. Gotta get fencing repairs done or else we're gonna have goslings everywhere... again...
Yeah overall my gander is just doing his job, but we got into a tangle a few times and now it's like we're starting all over again. But, the season is finally over... I kept 4 eggs and 3 hatched out this week.

He still doesn't trust me much, and got me when I setting some feed down for the goslings. I've been pretty hands off with them so far. Just making sure I had drinkers accessible at all times. They're using the big drinkers right along with the the parents.

Today I got out a turkey pan and put a couple of blocks around it and the parents lead them down to it and let them go swimming.

The good thing is while all this was happening no one was wandering anywhere and now they don't wander far, but it won't be long so I've got fencing to do as well.

I can now redirect him with slow hand movements, he knows I'll grab him if he comes at me. All is much better, except I've had to intervene when they start charging the chickens for being nearby the goslings.

Finished results:

fam.JPG

My focus is Buff Saddleback Pomeranians. It's what I've always loved, and according to the Livestock Conservancy, Pomeranian geese are Critical. My end goal would be to get them closer to the SOP, however, right now I'm just trying to get enough of stock actually bred and hatched out that I can go forward from there because there just need to be more of these wonderful geese out in the world.

Literally according to the Livestock Conservancy website, there's only one breeder listed online that has Pom geese within 200 miles of me. Now I know there's got to be other people that have them but for some reason I can't find them.

I'm gonna make sure my soapbox stays in the broom closet before it tries to fly out and I just immediately hop on it. Ya'll should know by now I'm super passionate about this breed. (And if ya didn't well now you know). I'm hopeful that I'll get some better looking stock soon so I can sell off the ones that just don't work and focus in on the ones that do. All my geese are from a single hatchery, and as much as I'd love to get some goslings from Sandhill I just can't afford $30 a gosling right now (Plus I honestly do prefer it when the geese handle everything themselves, all I gotta do is make sure I have the right feed in there and that the kiddos don't hurt themselves and we're good!)
How’s the breeding going, @fangedknight ?

Anyone know what colours of offspring I will get
My buff is female my grey is male
Stella is 8 months and Gary is around 20 months
Both from different breeders
We are having a weird winter and my geese are in full mate and egg laying right now ( just over 2 weeks so far )
I’m going to skip this round as she is still very young
But would like to learn as much as I can for next round
I will also be getting Stella’s sister this spring who my friend has decided to sell. She is also buff in colour
Both have such gentle and non aggressive manors
Stella still climbs on my lap for cuddles and Gary stands by completely relaxed
I was scared to get her a gander with all the scary stories I heard
But I am thrilled with how great he is
Stella laid a really big egg yesterday they have been averaging 132-140 grams. This one must have hurt a bit
Had a little blood on it. I did check her and she is good

Attachments

• 73DC984F-132C-431B-92CE-7768879119B6.png
    73DC984F-132C-431B-92CE-7768879119B6.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
  • C5143CDF-8358-4988-A87A-A4CB2CACACFA.jpeg
    C5143CDF-8358-4988-A87A-A4CB2CACACFA.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 1D8D5F18-BAEA-485F-8C89-3351DE3E0446.jpeg
    1D8D5F18-BAEA-485F-8C89-3351DE3E0446.jpeg
    418.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 229170BD-BCC8-471F-ADE4-0C64ECD3A2AA.jpeg
    229170BD-BCC8-471F-ADE4-0C64ECD3A2AA.jpeg
    423.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 3FB640E4-91E8-452B-A349-C6CB751B2022.png
    3FB640E4-91E8-452B-A349-C6CB751B2022.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
  • 97148CF3-4985-450E-8D72-D0DA4B137496.png
    97148CF3-4985-450E-8D72-D0DA4B137496.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 2
Anyone know what colours of offspring I will get
My buff is female my grey is male
Stella is 8 months and Gary is around 20 months
Both from different breeders
We are having a weird winter and my geese are in full mate and egg laying right now ( just over 2 weeks so far )
I’m going to skip this round as she is still very young
But would like to learn as much as I can for next round
I will also be getting Stella’s sister this spring who my friend has decided to sell. She is also buff in colour
Both have such gentle and non aggressive manors
Stella still climbs on my lap for cuddles and Gary stands by completely relaxed
I was scared to get her a gander with all the scary stories I heard
But I am thrilled with how great he is
Stella laid a really big egg yesterday they have been averaging 132-140 grams. This one must have hurt a bit
Had a little blood on it. I did check her and she is good
Is your grey from a pure grey flock or mixed buff grey flock. If pure grey you will get mostly grey. If mixed 50/50 buff grey. (buff is a sex linked color and is thrown and carried by the male.)

Is your grey from a pure grey flock or mixed buff grey flock. If pure grey you will get mostly grey. If mixed 50/50 buff grey. (buff is a sex linked color and is thrown and carried by the male.)
I’m not sure about him
I guess I’ll have to hatch some to find out
I did read the male can carry the buff gene and be grey so you may not know

Back
Top Bottom