AGeese

Crowing
Jan 6, 2021
The Hawkeye State
Several of you let your geese do their thing, but I'm just wondering why we don't have more breed and trait related geese discussion? With so few available domestics in the states I would think this would be new ground.

We're pretty much all raising heritage breeds, but beyond these varieties what types of traits or characteristics would be desirable to you? What should be preserved? perfected?

Is there anyone working on a specific breed for SOP, Utility or Show?

Let me know!

She stepped on one and chewed the face of the other one.
Sometimes I feel about waterfowl the way Gandalf felt about hobbits.
LOTR - Gandalf - Hobbits.gif

My focus is Buff Saddleback Pomeranians. It's what I've always loved, and according to the Livestock Conservancy, Pomeranian geese are Critical. My end goal would be to get them closer to the SOP, however, right now I'm just trying to get enough of stock actually bred and hatched out that I can go forward from there because there just need to be more of these wonderful geese out in the world.

Literally according to the Livestock Conservancy website, there's only one breeder listed online that has Pom geese within 200 miles of me. Now I know there's got to be other people that have them but for some reason I can't find them.

I'm gonna make sure my soapbox stays in the broom closet before it tries to fly out and I just immediately hop on it. Ya'll should know by now I'm super passionate about this breed. (And if ya didn't well now you know). I'm hopeful that I'll get some better looking stock soon so I can sell off the ones that just don't work and focus in on the ones that do. All my geese are from a single hatchery, and as much as I'd love to get some goslings from Sandhill I just can't afford $30 a gosling right now (Plus I honestly do prefer it when the geese handle everything themselves, all I gotta do is make sure I have the right feed in there and that the kiddos don't hurt themselves and we're good!)

Romans are supposed to be small and orange feet are acceptable. But a lot of judges don’t know this and only pick the pink ones.

Anyway, I’m trying to breed to the Standard with my American Buffs but they aren’t very good to begin with. I like them as pets though so if that doesn’t work, I don’t mind.
My buff is beautiful. I’d love to find her a buff gander someday
4B19FC93-D03F-4308-BBDF-C1DC907FFA7D.jpeg
625FBAA1-7A74-40F7-B55E-3CF9450D1078.jpeg

I'm ready for mating season to be over.
I nearly got charged by one of the youngsters yesterday... I feel this... She nearly learned a very hard lesson of "You do not charge Dad." She made smart choices and didn't though so we're good. (Still not ruling out christmas goose since she's not sitting on anything yet... )

But I have no less than 2 girls sitting on eggs, might actually have three! I'm excited and nervous, and well everything. Gotta get fencing repairs done or else we're gonna have goslings everywhere... again...

This info is all helpful. I'm getting three Cotton Patch goslings in a few months. My hope is to begin breeding and selling goslings next year. I plan to leave everybody together (this trio, my current trio of Toulouse, and my ducks) until breeding time. The Cottons will then be separated into a separate pen. In theory. Hopefully.

I'm so new to geese, but if I do end up breeding, I'd probably breed for temperament and whatever SOP traits I find when my goslings grow. If I need to add more/different birds, I can always contact the same breeder.

She carries geese from 2 different lines. Is it better to keep breeding from the same line, or to mix lines with a focus on breeding for specific traits?

Back
Top Bottom