Mine dont get a choice I do watch them all year to see who the prefer and some pairings I would have to just eat the eggs.
I have 6 different stall with large run pens that they all have access to except at breeding season when all the gates get closed. Last year I separated them in January... It was a little to early as I found out. I will wait till Feb this year,
I have 3 different colors of African Dewlaps and then there is mama my little production goose.. 4 of my geese came direct from Dave Holderread who have fantastic genetics. They will get paired off with my buffs, My buff boys have some new girls this year that came from that pairing last year... Most of my whites will stay together but one of the girls in the late season will get paired off with one of my Browns to get a split (yep the babies will have white spots) I will keep the best one to breed back in again to get a full split.. The best of them will be kept to go back to the whites and improve the quality... Very few white hold to standard's in the US
My boys are all opportunists at breeding season.
sorry to much info but my passion is to get good breeding pairs to others and if I give the birds that are to interbred it wouldn't help the bred to flourish.
Oh and Mama gets the best pen she will lay and go broody first her eggs are not usually futile but will do some swaps with others eggs. her eggs are tinny so easy to pick out... As soon as I hatch the first babies she get them I will steel her eggs and will spend the spring happy raising all the babies in the heated stall, it was more than 30 she raised last year.

I lost my gander this past Feb. So there will be no breeding here with my geese. BUT I'll have to watch 2 of my Runner females who are absolutely in love the Missy my goose and she doesn't like them laying down in front of her to breed. She stepped on one and chewed the face of the other one.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, I'd like to focus on Dewlap Toulouse, Sebbies, and Super Africans. But of course my 'start' with that, I ended up with all-male sebbies (their temperament is meh) and all-female dewlaps (who are so stinkin beautiful and lovely). I might try to map out grey/splash sebbies so I at least have something to work on with my other geese. A part of me just wants to collect them all and be a supporter of the breeds 😅, but then again I want to get to a point where all the animals are helping to pay for themselves.

Romans are supposed to be small and orange feet are acceptable. But a lot of judges don’t know this and only pick the pink ones.

Anyway, I’m trying to breed to the Standard with my American Buffs but they aren’t very good to begin with. I like them as pets though so if that doesn’t work, I don’t mind.

Romans are supposed to be small and orange feet are acceptable. But a lot of judges don’t know this and only pick the pink ones.

Anyway, I’m trying to breed to the Standard with my American Buffs but they aren’t very good to begin with. I like them as pets though so if that doesn’t work, I don’t mind.
My Roman is jumping one of my Embdens, but I think he's too small to get a handle on it yet. Not sure how this is going to work...

I don’t really have a breeding plan as I’m in no position to add more unrelated girls to my flock to make that happen (for now) but if I did I’ve always wanted to expand on this double knob thing my gander Strawberry has going on.
B87A0429-1A9A-41DA-B36C-2B29DA96290D.jpeg

54CF4AF0-0A23-4472-9EC4-EA244F46BC3A.jpeg

I only decide who pairs up with who based on who’s most relaxed around each other, “I’m not planning on goslings,” usually they sort out who gets along best themselves but I have one tricky dynamic that I have to get involved in.

One of my girls “Dandelion” likes to play games with other people’s lives. She’s a floozy and she likes pitting ganders against each other, particularly Helios and Roxby.

She’ll bat her eyes at one gander, but then run off with the other, then she’ll act like a damsel that needs rescuing, and then the fight is on.

Helios is a teddy bear, but he is massive, Roxby is spicier and more dominant but he’s had health issues and is smaller, so when Helios finally gets angry it isn’t safe for Roxby to be within his reach.
Roxby can be more obsessive over Dandelion than Helios but last year “and probably again this year.” I’ve chosen to place Dandelion with Helios, which unfortunatly stresses Roxby but the reason is because her constant games and flip flopping stresses Roxby even more when she’s with him, the constant anxiety and mind games she puts him under isn’t healthy. He’s upset with it initially but overall placing him with Tuesday and Apricot “two of my other girls” is better for his mental and physical well being.

Thanks for tagging me.
I just let my geese do their own thing. I have a couple I'm going to butcher shortly and I will be down to a single pair. Don't really have specific desires as far as traits because I hatch goslings to eat and nothing else.
I have a Toulouse gander and a female who is a pilgrim/buff mix.

This is my first set of geese and I had no idea how much they would grow on me
Stella we got at 4 weeks ( may 2023)
Actually went to my friends for ancona ducklings and somehow ended up bringing a gosling home too
Gary we only got 4 weeks ago from a lady I sell ducklings too. She just gave him to me free of charge
I can’t wait to get more !!
Looks like geese math will be like my duck math 😂
I’m really hoping because both of mine are so friendly their offspring carry that gentle gene
At bed tonight I sat right in their pen area and pet them both. He is still a bit shy about it but doesn’t get upset
Stella has always loved attention
Is it best to let her sit and hatch ? My only concern is not getting the interaction with them when young
I like hatching them but the geese I raise dont really do good setting. The one time I let them TeToo kept moving her nest eggs and all. I finally collected them and put them in the incubator about 4 hours after she gave up the nest one day they all did hatch. But heavyweight Africans are not well known for complementing hatches. However some of my girls seem to make good moms. I have a few girls who love it when I give them the babies at about 7 days. The ones they raise do end up skittish for a while but then take on there flocks personality and all become part of a friendly flock.
I have 28 of them come flying for me the minute the door opens or looking in the dining room window telling me its time to come out and play.. I think that's 4-5 in goose math. (4 to 5 buckets of water I have to hall from the house when its below 0). You will do fine whichever way you go. Im not sure how good poms are at mothering and setting.

Back
Top Bottom