Gender - 8-9 week old Barred Rock and Asian Black - More/better Pics!

The "Plymouth Barred Rock" isn't a Plymouth Rock.

Legs are pink with a dark wash.

Looks like a cockerel. It is also a Asian Black which are occasionally barred.
That is surprising because I got it from a bin where all of the chicks were barred with white spot on the head that was next to the bid that was labeled Asian Black. For my sake i hope you are wrong, i would hate to have to rehome 2 of 3 babies that were sold as pullets. I know 80-90% accuracy is typical and would be just my luck if i hit 33% :(

That is surprising because I got it from a bin where all of the chicks were barred with white spot on the head that was next to the bid that was labeled Asian Black. For my sake i hope you are wrong, i would hate to have to rehome 2 of 3 babies that were sold as pullets. I know 80-90% accuracy is typical and would be just my luck if i hit 33% :(
It's definitely not a Cuckoo Marans, Cuckoo Marans cockerels would be double Barred like a barred Rock cockerel.

Barred Rocks have yellow skin, & legs.

The Asian Blacks that were sold at my TSC a couple years ago was a mix of solid black, & black with headspots.

Thanks, and i am not attempting to discredit your opinion. Just trying to better understand. I follow the leg color regarding the PBR. What you are saying about the barred bird is that it looks like a cockerel based on comb/wattle but that it does not have the double white bar that cuckoo maran/PBR have? "IF" it is a pullet is it possible that it is a cuckoo maran or are there other indicators that are driving you towards saying it is not?
Thanks again.
It's definitely not a Cuckoo Marans, Cuckoo Marans cockerels would be double Barred like a barred Rock cockerel.

Barred Rocks have yellow skin, & legs.

The Asian Blacks that were sold at my TSC a couple years ago was a mix of solid black, & black with headspots

Thanks, and i am not attempting to discredit your opinion. Just trying to better understand. I follow the leg color regarding the PBR. What you are saying about the barred bird is that it looks like a cockerel based on comb/wattle but that it does not have the double white bar that cuckoo maran/PBR have? "IF" it is a pullet is it possible that it is a cuckoo maran or are there other indicators that are driving you towards saying it is not?
Thanks again.
The size, & redness of the comb are usually a good indicator of gender.

Asian Blacks are Mixed Breeds, so pretty much rarely you'll get one with double bars. Some Asian Black cockerels will black with red in the shoulders, hackles, & saddles instead. Some Asian Blacks will have silver instead of gold/red coloration.

So my PBR are only 5 weeks and they have bright red waddles and combs. I was told by someone who is super trusted on here that mine are in fact Cockerels and not Pullets which is what TSC sold them as. Your little PBR is older and does not have the bright red comb or waddles so that makes me think yours is in fact a Pullet. You may reach out to the lady who helped me. She's very helpful.

What makes you think the BR may be a cockerel? I am not seeing much color in the comb/wattle and am not very familiar with the breed and this is from a hatchery, but doesn't seem to have "more" white barring than black. The black chick that you are saying is suspect has always been larger than the other 2 but seems like the others are catching up so I am thinking it may be a week or 2 older. If that impacts your opinion at all...Thanks
Comb size and color.
I’m not going to change my thoughts on breed at this age.

Are the new pics more helpful? Thanks
There is a YouTube video collection called Karen's Coop. She actually has several videos and one of them shows how to sex the chickens by looking at their cochlea (butthole). LOL or the differences in Wing feathers. It was pretty helpful.

There is a YouTube video collection called Karen's Coop. She actually has several videos and one of them shows how to sex the chickens by looking at their cochlea (butthole). LOL or the differences in Wing feathers. It was pretty helpful.
Also, she was sexing the Barred Rock in particular and demonstrated several different ways, one of which was looking at the legs. The females have a dark wash on top of their legs and feet and the males do not. theirs are pretty much the light color through and through.

how to sex the chickens by looking at their cochlea (butthole).

Cochlea is a part of the ear, on humans or chickens.
Vent is the chicken's butthole (where the eggs and the poop come out.)
You might mean "cloaca," which is a more technical term for a chicken's vent.

Cochlea is a part of the ear, on humans or chickens.
Vent is the chicken's butthole (where the eggs and the poop come out.)
You might mean "cloaca," which is a more technical term for a chicken's vent.
Oops! LOL yes I meant cloaca. Voice to text. My dad's wife and my niece are both audiologists, too! Anyway I hope the YouTube video is helpful for people.

Back
Top Bottom