Gender Identification

phi3

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2015
1st LS

2nd LS (Has same tail as 1st)

1st RIR

2nd RIR

Tried to get better pictures again for the RIR, Forgot which is which possibly the same sort of lost track after they started to run around.

These are let out around 8AM > 7PM, When can they permanently stay outside? It's almost summer here in NZ. They are 4 weeks old exactly.

Last edited:
I'll let others with more experience do the gender bit, but at 4 weeks old its difficult to tell - better posting those at around 8 weeks.

In response to your other question - i let my flock out at dawn and they put themselves to bed at dusk. At that age they are fine wondering around with your flock. I let mine chicks do their stuff with their mums at 2 days and they are fine.

Congrats on the rugby BTW - not a surprise, but a great result.

CT

I don't know about the white birds. The RIR's look a lot like my girls did when they were about that same age so I'm going to guess yours are pullets. It will be easier to tell when they are a bit older.

Hope you are enjoying them!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

At only 4 weeks, I'm a bit concerned both the Sussex are cockerels, but not positive. I'd really expect to see more red. I'd post again in 2-3 weeks to see how things are developing.

None of the reds are tweaking my roo-dar at the moment.

Thanks. That one gave the spell checker fits like you wouldn't believe! And for some reason it took several tries for it to "add to dictionary" or whatever. But I like it
smile.png

Thanks. That one gave the spell checker fits like you wouldn't believe! And for some reason it took several tries for it to "add to dictionary" or whatever. But I like it
smile.png

I think roo-dar should become part of our BYC vocabulary, good one Rachel!

welcome-byc.gif

At only 4 weeks, I'm a bit concerned both the Sussex are cockerels, but not positive. I'd really expect to see more red. I'd post again in 2-3 weeks to see how things are developing.

None of the reds are tweaking my roo-dar at the moment.
I agree.

Cheers for the comments, will update in a few weeks time.

I can only hope they turn out to be females. As much as i'd like a male I can't see my neighbors being particularly happy about the noise it will cause.

Back
Top Bottom