1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gender?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Pi-Co, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Pi-Co

Pi-Co Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2015
    Michigan
    I have a turkey that's just a big doofus great thing and pretty nice (unless you a chick a tenth its size). I just don't know the gender of it is. He's a picture [​IMG]. I'm really hoping it's a hen but I have no idea. It is about 4-5 months old right now.

2. R2elk

R2elk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Yes it is a hen. You can see the light colored lower edges on its breast feathers. If it had been a tom, those lower edges on the breast feathers would be dark colored.

3. memphis

memphis Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2012
    She's a very pretty doofus! :D

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Aren't all turkeys doofuses

5. Pi-Co

Pi-Co Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2015
    Michigan
    Well of course, but I can't really think of anything cuter that a turkey running full speed across your yard with four chickens in tow just to see what your doing sitting on the deck. The thing is 3/4 my height when I am just sitting on my porch and will walk right up to me to see what I'm doing (or steal what I'm eating). Also any idea on what breed it is. Sorry she was a "gift" from a friend to add to the flock.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I think broad breasted bronze

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by