Genetics : Take a guess before hatch : Pics

Okay so now I'm lost.. Isn't the point to sex link with a silkie is to use a silkie rooster over a light skinned (and light legged) hen? If all had black skin, wouldn't that be proving against what you are saying? Or are you saying that the chicks would be heterozygote...?
Do you see where I am getting confused?
Fibromelanotic: autosomal gene, this means there are two copies of this gene in a pure silkie rooster, your zizzle silkie rooster my look pure on all silkie aspects but he is lacking another copy of this gene, he is a Fibromelanotic heterozygote(Fm/fm+) therefore he cant be used as a sex linked parent, he will inherit one copy of fm+(wildtype none black skin) to some of his doughters, even if he looks pure and have black skin(Fibromelanotic is dominant) he cant be use as sex link parent.

the point of do sex link with a silkie rooster with two copies of Fibromelanosis(Fm/Fm) we need a Homozygous fibromelanotic rooster(two copies) one copy wont work at all

Fibromelanotic: autosomal gene, this means there are two copies of this gene in a pure silkie rooster, your zizzle silkie rooster my look pure on all silkie aspects but he is lacking another copy of this gene, he is a Fibromelanotic heterozygote(Fm/fm+) therefore he cant be used as a sex linked parent, he will inherit one copy of fm+(wildtype none black skin) to some of his doughters, even if he looks pure and have black skin(Fibromelanotic is dominant) he cant be use as sex link parent.

the point of do sex link with a silkie rooster with two copies of Fibromelanosis(Fm/Fm) we need a Homozygous fibromelanotic rooster(two copies) one copy wont work at all
So all of his offspring will be Heterozygote as well?

So all of his offspring will be Heterozygote as well?
Only 50% of them(boys and girls) and 50% will lack Fibromelanotic altogether(if crossed to a none fibromelanotic bird)...

its hard to tell these heterozygotes once you introduce a none fibromelanotic bird(to bring new cool colors, or feather type like frizzle) to your silkie breeding program..

say you wanted a frizzle silkie(sizzle) so you(or any breeder before you) introduce the frizzle gene, as you know all of the F1s will have normal feathers and black skin(if the frizzle bird had black/slate shanks) some people do F1xF1 cross or do a back to silkie parent back cross F1xP1, all of the back cross chicks will have black skin and be mostly silkie at this time, but you just cant tell which bird is a heterozygote or which bird is a homozygote for the fibromelanotic gene, all you can do is cull white skin birds and as an option you could also cull the suspected heterozygotes, that is if you have a prooven homozygote

Only 50% of them(boys and girls) and 50% will lack Fibromelanotic altogether(if crossed to a none fibromelanotic bird)...

its hard to tell these heterozygotes once you introduce a none fibromelanotic bird(to bring new cool colors, or feather type like frizzle) to your silkie breeding program..

say you wanted a frizzle silkie(sizzle) so you(or any breeder before you) introduce the frizzle gene, as you know all of the F1s will have normal feathers and black skin(if the frizzle bird had black/slate shanks) some people do F1xF1 cross or do a back to silkie parent back cross F1xP1, all of the back cross chicks will have black skin and be mostly silkie at this time, but you just cant tell which bird is a heterozygote or which bird is a homozygote for the fibromelanotic gene, all you can do is cull white skin birds and as an option you could also cull the suspected heterozygotes, that is if you have a prooven homozygote
If only he would produce actual sizzle crosses with my silkies. Everything I've ever hatched between him and a silkie has had silkie feathers (one was frizzled silkie feathers). Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm not even getting smooth sizzles. Just silkies.

Thanks for your help!

If only he would produce actual sizzle crosses with my silkies. Everything I've ever hatched between him and a silkie has had silkie feathers (one was frizzled silkie feathers). Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm not even getting smooth sizzles. Just silkies.
Thanks for your help!
well it seems like you have not been lucky enough, you should always get 50% chance of getting frizzle chicks,

well it seems like you have not been lucky enough, you should always get 50% chance of getting frizzle chicks,
So it should be 50% frizzled, 25% silkied and 25% frizzled silkie? Must just be unlucky. I was not the only one breeding him. He is 3 years old, and before our place, he only produced silkie chicks. Actually some pretty decent silkie chicks. Minus the one with light skin.
_MG_4417.jpg
This is the most unusual we have gotten out of silkie to sizzle cross. (This one is going through a juvenile molt - looks better now). So if I kept this boy:
_MG_5222.jpg
and bred him back to a silkie, what kind of skin colour would I get? I was told on the sizzle thread that it wouldn't take long to get rid of the light skin. Seeing as my sizzle is getting older, I need a backup. Oh and all the ones with light skin that look like above ARE boys. At least so far. Some are still very young. Must just be a coincidence.
_MG_5122.jpg
This one with black skin is the only dark skinned chick with the frizzle gene.

Back
Top Bottom