genetics...

fla_native

Songster
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
Haines City Fla
I understand , mostly, the chicken color thing, the calculator everyone here refers to is great.
However, in this instant Im more concerned with traits...is there a way to get an idea of what traits of a given breed would be dominate in a cross breed? Or is it simply trial and error?

Last edited:
fla_native,

I'm also interested in this.........

Here is another thread on this forum that is related to this question:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=258053

MAYBE we can learn something about this.........BUT, One problem mentioned is the "varifying" of such genetic tendencies......

I dunno....
idunno.gif

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

It is not trial and error. There are genes that are dominant and others are recessive. Chicken genetics is a complicated subject. The only time trial and error comes into play is if you are crossing a recessive white bird with a non white bird. Once you determine what is segregating from your white birds, then the results are predictable.

Tim

Last edited:
Tims right about the color issue but I have seen that more breeders use a rooster with desired traits to hen that needs work that strengthens your hen line can also be done backwards as well too! But usually breeder use roo over hen! Also alot of breeder use line breeding too daugter to father and mother to son this will also strengthens the line but both birds need to be sq or bq in order to improve with pq your taking a a big time loss on that

Last edited:
Actually, Im less concerned about color and more interested in ability. For example....
If I were to cross a Jersey Giant with a Delaware, are there dominant abilities, say, is the gene(if there is one) for the Delawares fast maturation dominant but the gene for enormous size in the giants dominant, giving you a giant chicken that matures fast ?
Can these type of things be at least somewhat predictable as in the color issue?

Ow....now my brain hurts....

To complicate matters, aren't some genes incompletely dominant? Also, many traits are influenced by multiple genes. So, in many (probably most) cases it's not really a matter of yes or no, there are lots of shades of maybe.

Quote:
I would guess that very few non-color trait gene interactions are known. To complicate matters, many of these traits are likely controlled by multiple genes, making any analysis very difficult. Not all that many traits follow simple mendelian principles. When they don't, figuring out the gene interactions can be all but impossible for the typical backyard chicken keeper.

Back
Top Bottom