German New Hampshire

Generally stubs are the result of introduction of a feather legged bird somewhere along the line......but not always. Some ducks can have stubs and there are no Mallard derivative ducks with feathers on their feet.

Walt
Thank you.

I do not think these gene is the same as what the feather legged breeds. I was thinking it was a simple recessive, but I know who comes from what. It does not quite line up that way. However, I did get to thinking that just because I do not see them doesn't mean they are not hidden under the leg scales? One of the reasons that I was thinking it was a recessive gene, was that I never seen or heard of it from the initial crosses. Doesn't mean that in subsequent generations it could not start showing back up.
Mostly the pairings do not produce any that are evident yet. I will just keep watching, looking, and knowing where I get them from. Or don't. The bad thing is that I did see a few, but the good thing is that I did not see many.
I did a check of the cocks and hens, and they are still stub free.

Thank you.

I do not think these gene is the same as what the feather legged breeds. I was thinking it was a simple recessive, but I know who comes from what. It does not quite line up that way. However, I did get to thinking that just because I do not see them doesn't mean they are not hidden under the leg scales? One of the reasons that I was thinking it was a recessive gene, was that I never seen or heard of it from the initial crosses. Doesn't mean that in subsequent generations it could not start showing back up.
Mostly the pairings do not produce any that are evident yet. I will just keep watching, looking, and knowing where I get them from. Or don't. The bad thing is that I did see a few, but the good thing is that I did not see many.
I did a check of the cocks and hens, and they are still stub free.

They don't show up in the beginning in these NH's, but if you have a hen or cock that is free of them, you should be good.

w.

I have a pullet that has been walking around for days with what looks like an overfull gullet. She doesn't even straighten out her head/neck anymore. Thoughts?

I have a pullet that has been walking around for days with what looks like an overfull gullet. She doesn't even straighten out her head/neck anymore. Thoughts?

Sounds like pendulous crop. Sometimes a bird will eat or drink too much and if the ligaments holding the crop in place are weak, the crop stretches down such that the food is not able to pass through properly and it will just sit there and spoil. I have had this problem in turkey hens when the weather gets really hot here and they drink too much to try to stay cool. As far as I've been able to determine, it is a genetic weakness and no real cure for it. I've had to cull them when this happens, otherwise they starve to death with a full crop.

Sounds like pendulous crop. Sometimes a bird will eat or drink too much and if the ligaments holding the crop in place are weak, the crop stretches down such that the food is not able to pass through properly and it will just sit there and spoil. I have had this problem in turkey hens when the weather gets really hot here and they drink too much to try to stay cool. As far as I've been able to determine, it is a genetic weakness and no real cure for it. I've had to cull them when this happens, otherwise they starve to death with a full crop.
Thanks, I was thinking that...dang that puts me down to 1 GNH hen and 3 roos. Grrrr!

Hmm, well.... that is too far from me.
I believe I do have 2 of your line, from Coopers Coop. But that is the hen that is not right. And a roo....I might have one more that i sexed wrong. I thought was a roo...but now I'm not so sure. I will try to post a pic. I do have two more fro someone who shipped me older chicks, with no food or water...lucky to have had 4 live, lost two later..it looks like 1 roo and one pullet...but I know these are mixed German and American lines.

I have talked to Deb and she has some here in CA....just have not had the time to take a trip north to see her and Miss Molly

I believe I do have 2 of your line, from Coopers Coop. But that is the hen that is not right. And a roo....I might have one more that i sexed wrong. I thought was a roo...but now I'm not so sure. I will try to post a pic. I do have two more fro someone who shipped me older chicks, with no food or water...lucky to have had 4 live, lost two later..it looks like 1 roo and one pullet...but I know these are mixed German and American lines.

I have talked to Deb and she has some here in CA....just have not had the time to take a trip north to see her and Miss Molly

I will have extra hens in a month or so. I'm in Santa Rosa.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom