German New Hampshire

I believe I do have 2 of your line, from Coopers Coop. But that is the hen that is not right. And a roo....I might have one more that i sexed wrong. I thought was a roo...but now I'm not so sure. I will try to post a pic. I do have two more fro someone who shipped me older chicks, with no food or water...lucky to have had 4 live, lost two later..it looks like 1 roo and one pullet...but I know these are mixed German and American lines.

I have talked to Deb and she has some here in CA....just have not had the time to take a trip north to see her and Miss Molly
Ooops, mixed ones came from eggs.
Chicks shipped were pure GNH.

What is the usual vigor on this breed? 4 batches with bad luck/vitality.
I was hoping the mixed ones would have better vigor....

I will have extra hens in a month or so. I'm in Santa Rosa.

Walt
Thanks Walt,
I will see where I am at that point.
Sad part is, I'm not even breeding GNH, I'm breeding Hambars, which are doing great (thanks Keith!). GNH, not so great.
I am breeding to the standard but not for show, more for sustainability. Nice duel purpose birds for people to raise for meat and eggs.
And why I want the GNH, not the American lines that are more of an egg production bird.

Thanks Walt,
I will see where I am at that point.
Sad part is, I'm not even breeding GNH, I'm breeding Hambars, which are doing great (thanks Keith!). GNH, not so great.
I am breeding to the standard but not for show, more for sustainability. Nice duel purpose birds for people to raise for meat and eggs.
And why I want the GNH, not the American lines that are more of an egg production bird.

Check with J-whip(XWpoultry farms) the cross of the GNH and the Reese strains would do you good for your needs. I think these are going to produce the type you require. The GNH will not(not meaties) I think you have the facts a little reversed. The American version(Reese line anyway) are the better meat producing ones the GNH are the superior layers in my findings.

Jeff

My experience with these is: hatching is astounding...right around 100%. The females lay at 4-5 months, but the males take a while to fill out...... About 11 months. The males weigh 9 lbs at 6 months, but still need some filling out. I don't medicate or vaccinate but my observation is that these birds are pretty tough. My original birds came from Kathyinmo by a roundabout way and the newer ones directly from her. They are some of the strongest birds I have seen for a while. Last year I lost one male at 7 months...he drown during a bad storm and I found him in a wading pool. Out of all the rest including chicks, there has been no sickness or mortality.

Walt

I can not get a good side shot of this boy for the life of me but wanting to know what you guys think of his breedworthyness if you can tell from these pics..... He is 8 mos. old now and glad to hear they still fill out till 11 months. I don't know much about this breed, bought the chicks with the hope of getting a nice pullet to cross with my Delaware Cock to improve my stock and really fell for them. Sometimes I look at him and he looks to be a super chunky boy, wide back, depth to body, other times and in these pics. he looks slight to me. I would like to see his wings held a little higher/tighter and his does have the one irregularity in his comb.

I see some things, but Walt would be better for commenting.

Good luck with him.

If you use a NH to improve your Delawares, plan on a lot of work cleaning up the brassiness. Simply putting silver with silver tends to be hard to clean up the brassiness. A Barred Rock would help clean it up.

My experience with these is: hatching is astounding...right around 100%. The females lay at 4-5 months, but the males take a while to fill out...... About 11 months. The males weigh 9 lbs at 6 months, but still need some filling out. I don't medicate or vaccinate but my observation is that these birds are pretty tough. My original birds came from Kathyinmo by a roundabout way and the newer ones directly from her. They are some of the strongest birds I have seen for a while. Last year I lost one male at 7 months...he drown during a bad storm and I found him in a wading pool. Out of all the rest including chicks, there has been no sickness or mortality.

Walt
I have had good luck with fertility hatch ability livability etc. These are sturdy healthy birds. My only hang up with them is how they flesh out, and that is because they are NHs. They put on all of the feather on first. Otherwise these guys are pretty strong. I like these birds.

I see some things, but Walt would be better for commenting.

Good luck with him.

If you use a NH to improve your Delawares, plan on a lot of work cleaning up the brassiness. Simply putting silver with silver tends to be hard to clean up the brassiness. A Barred Rock would help clean it up.
Thanks! I now have some of Kathyinmo's F-4's so will probably not go forward with my line of Dels anymore, we shall see................ Whether I decide to breed this boy or not, he is a keeper. He hangs in the coop with the babies (4-5 week olds) when i incorporate them into the big girls coop (which I am doing every 2 weeks or so right now) and watches over them. He will take place of the flock watcher (Foghorn Leghorn is getting old) if he does not end up in the breeding pen. So cute, he is a gentle giant.

What do you see in him good or bad, I would love to hear it? Sounds like you have made great progress with yours. He and the 5 pullets I have kept from the 20 chicks are from a breeder (cpartist) who I believe got her stock from Kathy.

Last edited:
Check with J-whip(XWpoultry farms) the cross of the GNH and the Reese strains would do you good for your needs. I think these are going to produce the type you require. The GNH will not(not meaties) I think you have the facts a little reversed. The American version(Reese line anyway) are the better meat producing ones the GNH are the superior layers in my findings.

Jeff
Jeff, you are right, what Jeremy is working with is a much better utility bird. They "put the meat on" early, and in qty.

Back
Top Bottom