Gettin' my dairy goat on Saturday - any last minute advice?

Along with the basic physical exam. Are you familiar with the parasite test you can do on the eyes? The last thing you want to do is bring a new parasite load into you heard. Will you quarentine her at first? I hate to do it, but A week away from your heard will not hurt her while you worm her and she passes anything bad. **I learned this the hard way!! ***
I also probios all the new goats for the first 3 days and make sure to bring some of her food home that she is use to.
As far as the bleach...is that for a teat wash or for your equipment? I know alot of people use the bleach for teat washes, but my goats did not tollerate it well. I use baby wipes to clean before I milk (a warm wash cloth with antibacterial soap if they are really dirty) and then spray them with "Fight Bac" when I am done. Oh and I wash my hands with soap and water between each goat.
Good luck!! Having your own milk is sooooooooo much fun!!!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!! We went and looked at her - she is a lovely Saanen. Actually we had our pick of several does and she picked us! She just kidded 2 days ago - triplets - so we didnt want to stress her anymore than necessary so we'll get her either wed nite after work or next sunday.

The guy was great - very professional operation. He helped walk us thru decided which doe would be best for us, let us both milk her (ha! - the old hubby is going to be in on this too - i knew it the second he set eyes on her....), talked a lot about how he manages his herd, explained a lot about what he uses for his milking routine etc etc. We were really confident when we left that this is going to work out. We cant wait to get her!

And I used everyone's advice about what to look for and what to ask - it really really helped! Pix will be posted when we get her.

Thanks everyone!! We went and looked at her - she is a lovely Saanen. Actually we had our pick of several does and she picked us! She just kidded 2 days ago - triplets - so we didnt want to stress her anymore than necessary so we'll get her either wed nite after work or next sunday.

The guy was great - very professional operation. He helped walk us thru decided which doe would be best for us, let us both milk her (ha! - the old hubby is going to be in on this too - i knew it the second he set eyes on her....), talked a lot about how he manages his herd, explained a lot about what he uses for his milking routine etc etc. We were really confident when we left that this is going to work out. We cant wait to get her!

And I used everyone's advice about what to look for and what to ask - it really really helped! Pix will be posted when we get her.

You are doing wonderful and doing a great job getting started out right. Can't wait to see pictures.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom