Getting a Brand New Shed - Progress and Pics!

gryeyes

Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers
10 Years
Sep 22, 2009
My slice of heaven in Somerset, CA
Here's the dilemma: do I actually USE it for a shed, into which I'm placing a new brooder unit - BIG one! - or do I work on making it into a coop?

I'm buying one of those resin, double-walled things, about 8 x 10 footprint, with two windows and a strip of "sunlight" across the top.

I'm thinking I should really use it as a storage place for all my tools, and for the Monster Brooder, and all the feed, oyster shell and BOSS bags.

But it's so tempting.... oh so tempting..... I'd just need a pop door cut through those walls, and the rest would be SO easy to do......

barnie.gif

Last edited:
I have an opinion: I just got a new plastic shed (rubbermaid big max I think) a few months ago. It was difficult to put together.

It REALLY outgasses. Especially when it's a hot day. Stinks to high heaven in fact. I wouldn't want it as a coop. Brooder, ok, but not coop in the summer.

Maybe yours won't be as smelly.

wee.gif

Lowe's delivered the four boxes of resin shed parts, late this afternoon. Tomorrow I have a dentist appointment at 10 a.m. because I've got a tooth hurting me. Crud. But I will at least be able to cut the straps on the boxes and look for the instructions for constructing it, separate out all the hardware and all that stuff.

Got two nice, new pallets with the delivery, too.

Good thing I'm on vacation so I can futz with this during daylight hours before the weekend!!!

I am still so very tempted to consider making it into a coop.

Last edited:
Two scary things in the instruction manual for building this shed: This is a two-person project. (Oops.) And: This shed REQUIRES a level surface or the pieces will NOT fit together correctly.

Brief instructions for building an "alternate" level foundation are included, and I think I can manage the one using border boards and pea gravel.

So, today on my way to the feed store, I stopped by a Sand & Gravel place and asked some questions. Left the place with 14 bags of pea gravel (a half yard) in the back of my RAV4. I pulled them (and the 50# bag o' feed) out onto the ground at the site where I'm going to build the shed during my vacation. Tomorrow I'll get the boards and L brackets. This is going to be an 8 x 10 shed, so the boards are going to be sticking out the passenger's window on the way home.

Can ya tell I'm jazzed? I'm gonna see how much of it I can manage without begging the assistance of a friendly and helpful male co-worker.

The gravel guy? LOL! It was a wonderful woman behind the counter who helped me determine what I needed. And two fellas who shoveled the pea gravel into the bags, tied 'em and loaded 'em into the back of my RAV4. (I tipped them for their work - I had only paid for the bags and the gravel, NOT the bagging and loading! I guess the "Adventures of Barbara" T-shirt I was wearing made quite a hit there and at the feed store.)

I've taken photos of the bags in the pasture and the partially opened boxes for the shed. (I had chickens helping me but they were never in "good" positions for me to get them into the pictures.)

Half a yard of pea gravel in14 bags.
41679_shed-bagsopeagravel.jpg

Shed parts out of the boxes.
41679_shed-openboxes.jpg

And a shot of bags o' pea gravel and the opened boxes of shed parts in the pasture where I am building it (with land-lady's permission).
41679_shed-bags-openedboxes.jpg

Back
Top Bottom