getting hatching eggs from ebay

IwannaBEaMERMAID

Songster
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Beverly Hills, CA
hs anyone every done this, did they hatch okay. i will try to buy them from the nearest place posible like from inside california or arizona, texas or somewhere close like that
barnie.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

i might but them in an incubator or a broody cochin or silkie if i have one, which is better??

Last edited:
I haven't No, but i know people who have. Just look at the auctions and for laginamant ones. There are people selling here on this site on the Buy sell trade section. Those are who you should really buy from. Some people here even sell birds on eBay from time to time. So as long as they look good and will send you pictures if you ask go for it.

Quote:
I have cochins so i would be tempted to say cochin, but from one i here silkies are a little better than cochins... BUT either or is fine. Try to pick the one who weighs the least and who patient with you. I think chickens are 1,0000X 's better than incubators.

Last edited:
I've bought lots of hatching eggs. I"ve had good hatches and bad hatches. You just never know. I got eggs from one lady and all of them hatched so I got more eggs from her and none of them hatched. I think alot depends on how well they are handled in the mail.

I've done it a few times. Some are exactly what is advertised and some are not. Some hatch very well and some did not. Some from across the country hatched better than some from the next state over.

I just received two eBay seller egg shipments that looked like this:

34566_lightbrahmas.jpg

34566_favorelles.jpg

5 out of six unbroken in the first box, 8 out of fifteen unbroken in the second box. Outsides of the boxes were intact and not crushed but both were wet from broken eggs. It looked like they were handled very roughly. Both sellers offered compensation. I hope the survivors do ok in the incubator. I think the sellers also sell on this site so it is not just an eBay egg issue. I understood the risk when I ordered eggs and appreciate the response from the seller. Take pictures as you are opening the box. I know was person on here was quesioned because her broken eggs had a staged look to them. I photographed everything from the unopened to the individual unwrapped eggs. A date/time stamp on your pictures is good insurance too.

Good luck to you!

Mary

EBaybies:

39739_11072009_summerchicks02.jpg

Hatch rate really depends on how old they were, where they come from and how badly they were packed and/or handled. I don't ever want anyone to ship eggs to me wrapped in scented toilet tissue again. for instance. I've gotten a lot of unbroken shipments though.

I've gotten eggs from both ebay and eggbid. Had good and bad hatches. The distance they had to travel doesn't seem to make much difference. One of my worst ones was from about 3 1/2 hours away and one of my best was from almost the east coast.

Be sure and ask lots of question of the seller. Ask to see pictures and ask if the pictures are of their birds. People have used other people's picture of better birds to sell their poorer quality birds. If they're supposed to be purebred lines ask whose lines they come from. Ask them how they package their eggs for shipping.

Check out their feedback.

There are alot of variables involved, but if your willing to take the gamble, its worth it. I've hatched ebay eggs before, 1st time was 6 red golden eggs, only one developed, then died after piping. Then I bought button eggs, had 20 out of 35 hatch and they are doing great!

42968_100_1563.jpg

Back
Top Bottom