Getting new glasses can be complicated

Kelfeathers

Chirping
Aug 19, 2015
Marengo, Ohio
Today I went to see the doc for a long overdue eye exam. My main focus was to get new reading glasses, but I've been having issues with distance too.

After my exam the doc suggested I get bifocals. Being 26 the idea of bifocals was instantly depressing. I was reminded of my grandma's coke bottle bifocals from my childhood. I immediately shook my head no. The doc then spent several minutes showing me the difference in my distance vision with and without the lenses and explaining the benefits of the bifocals. The difference really was drastic. I couldn't even guess what the letters were without the lenses.

I asked about getting the bifocals after his demonstration. He told me not to worry about getting them and that I didn't need them. I said I wanted them. He said I could see well enough to pass a driving test and that was "good enough" with an "end of story" finality. I have bad anxiety and am terrified of men in general so I dropped the subject like a smacked puppy.

Following that he tried to send me on my way without setting me up with the reading glasses I had come in for. He said I didn't need those either. I had to insist on them. Before I left his office I made one last meager attempt for the bifocals and was shot down once again.

At least I'm getting my reading glasses and the frames are really cute too!

Last edited:
Sounds like it's time for a new doctor, preferably a female! Everyone has the right to see clearly and you should be able to see a doctor you feel comfortable with.

Today I went to see the doc for a long overdue eye exam. My main focus was to get new reading glasses, but I've been having issues with distance too.

After my exam the doc suggested I get bifocals...

I asked about getting the bifocals after his demonstration. He told me not to worry about getting them and that I didn't need them.
I'm confused. He said you should get bifocals, and then he said you shouldn't???

I would change doctors. I go to Costco, where the pricing can't be beat. I like one of the doctors there, I don't like the other. So it really depends on the doctor that works there...

Also, most people don't need bifocals until they are past 40 or 50, but I would rely on your doctor and yourself. No sense in having bad vision if the right glasses can fix it. If you need bifocals, you should get them!

But actually now, I remember the last time I got glasses... it's not just the doctor who can make things complicated. I finally changed from a flip phone to a smart phone last year and started texting. By the way, if you're looking for an inexpensive smart phone provider, you should consider Republic Wireless (especially if you can find a current coupon code). Anyway, I noticed I was having a hard time reading texts and decided I should get new glasses. The doctor (I don't like now) wrote me a prescription and made it "special" for me because she said I quite farsided. I got the glasses and I felt like I was looking through a fishbowl (my old glasses were fine, just not quite focused right). They sent the glasses back and remade them, but the new ones were just the same. By accident, I saw the other doctor (who I always go to now), and he noticed the prescription was "special" and said I didn't need something on it and to try getting new glasses one more time. This time the glasses were perfect. The cool thing is that Costco gave me back my money on the two pairs that didn't work, and the pair that did work were half the price of anywhere else in town. But I also learned there can be a huge difference between eye doctors and how they write prescriptions! So if you're not happy, or even not sure, go somewhere else, or at least see a different eye doctor!

Last edited:
I will be finding a new doctor after I get the glasses I ordered. I went to him because my SIL works for him. He was highly recommended by her and several of my husband's coworkers. His office is also in a town we go to a lot so it's an area I'm comfortable in.

My husband's immediate complaint after my appointment was, "He treated you like a child." I replied, "So, I wasn't the only one thinking that."

I'm confused. He said you should get bifocals, and then he said you shouldn't???

Also, most people don't need bifocals until they are past 40 or 50, but I would rely on your doctor and yourself. No sense in having bad vision if the right glasses can fix it. If you need bifocals, you should get them!

Exactly! He said I needed them and then said I didn't. He did the same with the reading glasses. I've had reading glasses since high school. I needed new ones due to losing my last pair in a move.

My SIL does an exam and then the doc does a secondary one. She said I had the vision of a 42 year old. When he did his exam he initially agreed with her. Then later started saying I didn't need the glasses at all because I could make out the blurry images well enough to pass a driving test. I quipped later that my legally blind great-grandmother could have driven if that's all you needed.

My husband has noticed a difference too. It used to be I could read things on his computer screen from across the room. Now I have to get up next to him to read anything that isn't in huge font. Some days I just ask him to read it to me, especially if it's late in the day. My eyes are just dandy for the first few hours in the morning.

Last night at the grocery store I asked if he could read a bottle that was 8ft away from us that I couldn't. He could see it clearly and I told him all I could see was a white blur. I only had an idea of what some of the letters were, but not enough to make out what it said.

I had near vision in one eye and far vision in the other - so my doctor told me I wouldn't need reading glasses for quite awhile. He was right. Then I got cataracts earlier than I expected - 60's. My dad didn't have them till 80's, doctor said some of my medication can cause that .

Before cataract surgery I told the doctor I wanted to keep the near sighted vision and the other with far vision.So two different lenses were put in. I felt that way I could find my way around without glasses if I needed too. He said okay. Then he goofed up and did the opposite with both eyes. After 60 some years being nearsighted in one eye was instantly changed to far sighted and vice versa. It was very, very difficult to get used to that vision. It's gotten better after a few years but very aggravating. He just has too darn many patients, he is in and out of several examining rooms and briefly looks at records. If I had known this would happen I would make marked my eye lids to say near or far.

Count me in as a patient who is not very comfortable with any of my doctors. They make too many mistakes. I know, no one is perfect but, who knows what any of them will do next.

I really only need reading glasses for very small print. He told me readers from Dollar store were fine. I did get real bifocals too but, can't stand to wear them. I don't seem to learn new tricks readily. I don't think cataract surgery improved my vision at all.

I'm not too fond of doctors myself. I've found most of the doctors I've had to either be flat out idiots or they won't listen to me. I can't count how many times I've been told, "No. This is what's wrong with you" or "You don't know what you're talking about" when I'm trying to tell them how I feel. I've had some flat out ignore me, try to give me antibiotics or pain killers and shoo me out of their offices.

My current doctor is a dream, though. She listens to everything I have to say and tries really hard to help. She discovered I have hypothyroidism. I had been dealing with the symptoms since I was around 13 and have been to multiple doctors. I went to her clinic when I was suffering from serious heart and breathing problems after my usual doc wouldn't listen to me. She got me started on medication asap. The heart and breathing problems, along with a collection of other issues, have been slowly going away ever since. On the rare occasion there are good doctors out there.

My mom got bifocals in her early 40s. I remember she kept tripping and running into things for awhile. My grandma had cataract surgery in her 60's. She keeps trying to talk my mom into getting surgery now, but she refuses. She's afraid they'll make her eyes worse. My grandma was looking at surgery or being legally blind. The choice is pretty easy if both bad options leave you legally blind or worse.

I had near vision in one eye and far vision in the other - so my doctor told me I wouldn't need reading glasses for quite awhile. He was right. Then I got cataracts earlier than I expected - 60's. My dad didn't have them till 80's, doctor said some of my medication can cause that .

Before cataract surgery I told the doctor I wanted to keep the near sighted vision and the other with far vision.So two different lenses were put in. I felt that way I could find my way around without glasses if I needed too. He said okay. Then he goofed up and did the opposite with both eyes. After 60 some years being nearsighted in one eye was instantly changed to far sighted and vice versa. It was very, very difficult to get used to that vision. It's gotten better after a few years but very aggravating. He just has too darn many patients, he is in and out of several examining rooms and briefly looks at records. If I had known this would happen I would make marked my eye lids to say near or far.

Count me in as a patient who is not very comfortable with any of my doctors. They make too many mistakes. I know, no one is perfect but, who knows what any of them will do next.

I really only need reading glasses for very small print. He told me readers from Dollar store were fine. I did get real bifocals too but, can't stand to wear them. I don't seem to learn new tricks readily. I don't think cataract surgery improved my vision at all.
Wow. Nobody is perfect, but there is no excuse for that kind of mistake. I hope he didn't charge you for the surgery. I would be MAD!
I had hernia surgery a few years ago. Before I was put under, the doc came in and used a permanent marker to write on my right side that this was the side to do. He told me it would come off in a few days. He said it was California law. I told him I didn't mind at all!

Back
Top Bottom