Giant Silkie Project.

Does This Sound Like A Good Idea Silkie Lovers?

• Total voters
Is Dun the same gene that causes the color called Fawn?

Ideal Poultry has had that in Old English Game Bantams for some years now:
https://www.idealpoultry.com/product/1587/106
color "Fawn Silver Duckwing"

I don't know what other hatcheries may have what varieties available, but I've kept an eye on those in case I ever want to play with that gene.
Here’s a fawn silver duckwing
4F8ABF8D-06A0-4218-9DE4-DF05E78D3F96.jpeg

9E3AD6DA-6381-4DC4-BFB0-3C1947659CC5.jpeg

Here is her as a baby
C9A99209-5BB7-44E7-AC2D-703851E850DA.jpeg

Her is her sister a Sort
78AEEA0F-2494-45FD-B72E-695872B5BF5B.jpeg

Her as a baby
B4C13A2A-7747-4849-825D-F8360B7CBB79.jpeg

I bought them a Atwood’s, they get their chicks from Ideal Poultry

I would breed him to a Malay who isn’t blue or splash to make sure that he’s really khaki (since that cross should produce 100% dun offspring)
Breeding to Barred Rock hen should produce 100% Dun Barred cockerels, & solid Dun pullets.

My original route for test breeding.

Breeding to Barred Rock hen should produce 100% Dun Barred cockerels, & solid Dun pullets.

My original route for test breeding.
I look forward to updates with your project. I had a OEGB mix who looked like a silver fawn OEGB, even though his parents (which were from a hatchery) didn’t appear to have the dun gene, and I’m still not sure how he ended up with that color.

Last edited:
I look forward to updates with your project. I had a OEGB mix who looked like a silver fawn OEGB, even though his hatchery parents didn’t appear to have the dun gene, and I’m still not sure how he ended up with that color.
I'll be updating in the spring, or summer.

Spontaneous Mutation.

I don’t think it was a spontaneous mutation since both his mother and his aunt also showed unusually brown feathers on white background.
Oh, okay. Makes sense now. Thought you meant he came directly from a hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom