Given 3 day old duckling, caught by a kid, think this little 1 is having Seizures!

CrazyPeach55

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 17, 2013
Please Help,
Yesterday I was given a 3 day old duckling my daughter's friend caught. Her daughter had been holding & carrying this duckling for I believe a minimum of about 3 hrs. We weren't home at the time,so then their was extra time for the ride home still to get this little duckling warm & comfy!
The little girl couldn't find the mother, it was out of the water running in panic from seagulls till she ran & picked up the baby duckling. There fore unsure of any stress & trauma caused in the time this little girl had it. But she convinced Mom to bring it to me, "cause it needs help", since they know I used to raise cockatiels. As soon as I got home she drank a few times but has not eaten. Went & relaxed under the light & seemed fine.
An hour later duckling starts slightly hopping around then go into an obvious seizure for up to 2 minutes with pull out time. She does flip sideways & completely on her back kicking her legs & unable to turn back over. I also noticed her craw seems over full & puffy feeling. What's that about? (Is there any possibility of internal bleeding from our friends little girl carrying the baby around?) Body has NO control during one of these seizures. Does loose consciousness too! I jently hold her and hope that she'll pull through each one as she comes too.
Really stressed out because I'm worried about the little duckling! Trying room temp water with a chic starter vitamin pack, to the correct amount of water plus apple cider vinegar. Not interested in water but I have been making my fingers wet touching her beak with it when she's awake. Very concerned! Everything is fresh & new. Tried giving her a teddy bear as suggested, which she has been snuggling with on my chest. These seizures are really upsetting me. As I type the last was an hour ago. Some are only 15-20 minutes apart from each other. Why is this happening. Could it just be trauma & stress from the little girl catching the duckling & bringing it to me (especially cause she held it the whole car ride to our event). Will she pull out of it? Is it a niacin deficiency as I've ready or is she still to young?
I have 2 girl chickens out side & just want her to pull out of this. Tonight I'm so worried about her, the heaters up & I'm propped up with pillows while she is snuggled on my chest and a snuggie to hold that heat for her tonight!
Is there any other advice you can give me, PLEASE?
I just want to try to save this duckling. It's been almost 2 hours now & she hasn't had another seizure since the last few!
It will just break my heart if something happens to this little duckling!!! I worry the most over the concerned that she might be suffering. That's why she's sleeping on my chest tonight.
Oh, I also wanted to note I can't take her to these because they don't know enough about birds. Please help this is my 1st & only duck!

Last edited:
I would like to report a positive update... I snuggled the little duckling on my chest all night with a teddy bear snuggled around & a blanket over to keep my body heat in. I've been watching the little one & haven't had anymore seizures, but would still love opinions on this situation, please. I mixed crumbles with warm water, placed the dish inside, showed that to the duckling & they baby just started loving it. Now is eating crumbles out of the dish, & drinking water consistently. More active & healthier looking. :) <3 Very scary though!!!

I think your instincts could be right on.

Could be physical trauma, electrolyte imbalance, dehydration, lack of nutrition. Ducklings need high quality food plus clean (okay, fresh) water 24/7 for 8 to 10 weeks. Keeping her warm and in contact with another animal (you) likely helped her as much as anything.

Keep up the good work, please keep us posted.

Looking ahead, if it's a wild species, there are laws to follow. And if it's dumped domestic, it will need at least one ducky friend and a duck-appropriate infrastructure.

Hope you get some good rest tonight.

I find when ducklings have trama the best thing is being held next to a warm body for as long as you can take it. Pop in a movie and just give them some nice security. I have spent a couple of nights this way. Good for you for helping out a frightened and lost little guy.
hugs.gif

Thank You Everyone! Little duckling is doing great. Very voiceterous. Spoiled & still being cuddled to sleep at night on my chest. Makes me laugh because the little one starts to fall asleep, but continously wakes up to cry & make sure that she's not going to miss anything. But the one place it's hardest for her to fight sleep is near my heart, on my chest.

Thank You Everyone! Little duckling is doing great. Very voiceterous. Spoiled & still being cuddled to sleep at night on my chest. Makes me laugh because the little one starts to fall asleep, but continously wakes up to cry & make sure that she's not going to miss anything. But the one place it's hardest for her to fight sleep is near my heart, on my chest.
Sounds wonderful to hear. Now be sure to post pics when you get a chance , we all love baby pics.

I'm a little nervous from everything I've researched it might be a wild duckling but colors look very similar to other species that are not wild too.
Can someone please tell me how to find out what to do to check with CA fish & game to find out if she is wild. My biggest fear is that they will take her away from me when I & my husband and kids have grown so attached.
Here is a pic I took with my camera phone. My computer isn't running so I'll post better pics later!
<3

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom