Giving My Silki hens an Hair Cut

Yay! Got her hair cut done and she didn't mind a bit. Definitely glad I used round tip scissors so I wasn't nervous either. Now she gets around even better!

Wow, what a difference the hair cut made! I bought a small, skinny, raggedy silkie at the auction last tuesday. I have a huge flock of rescued hens but no silkies. I put the little bird in the stall with my blind hen, Helen. The silkie chirped and went under Helen. They became immediate buds. I started to build up the little peep with yogart and chicken chow. She ate and drank for the first few days, hauling around her golf ball sized crop.Her energy increased but she still seemed a little on the down low. I read here on the awesome BYC that some of yall were cutting the silkies hair. I did that yesterday. I cut her cheek puffs and over her eyes. Her gorgeous black shiny eyes were wide with wonder. OMG, when I put her off my lap into the grass, she started running around! She pecked at some clover, gave herself a sand bath and did some more exploring. She put herself back in the stall and snuggled up next to Helen. It was like I took a hood off her head. Such a happy, loving little girl. I named her Rag mop. Thanks BYC. You guys rock!

Oh my word, I love this story! My Silkie, Olive is my favorite. She did the same thing when I first trimmed her. All of the sudden she was running! They do seem to get along with everyone quite well. Good to hear it worked out so well for you. She's lucky to have you.

Well, thank you, but I am lucky to have her! Tomorrow I will introduce her to some of the flock and see how she does. They are all rescues and each one has her own story. If anyone bullys her too much, I will scoop her up. I have a small banty that bullys the big ones so hopefully the big ones will just think she is a feisty banty and give her space. We shall see. One never knows how a hen thinks. Thats whats so cool about them. My roo, Khan has already seen her. He looked at her with his head tilted to the side, like "what the......" and strutted off. He is sweet so I dont expect anything nasty from him. Currently its dark and Ragmop is tucked away under Helens ample breast in the stall.

I wish you good luck integrating her into the flock. In my experience and from what I've read, the ornamental breeds (Silkies, Polish, ad Sultans) tend to be at the bottom of the pecking order. They tend to be more docile, making them more susceptible to bullying. My Silkie was 4 months old when I got her and she mothered my chicks, so I had no problems. Oddly enough, she's not the head hen. The 2 Barred Rocks rule the flock. My Sultan is picked on constantly. She's always nervous around the other and shrieking if anyone gets too close.

Post some pictures of her, if you can!

I appreciate your comments. And love hearing about your girls. I saw your pics and OMG, so cute. I just joined so I must figure out how to do the pictures. Will head out with my camera and take Ragmops picture. Yes, I will stand right over her and if I see someone getting reading to pounce, peck or bully, I will snatch her up. . I rescued 2 hens from the Bridgeton zoo. Someone dropped them off. One was a leg horn mix and she is into everything. Hops the fence. Raids my tomato garden and loves to be held.I named her Lucy. The other one, a raggedy Americauna had shoe laces tied around her legs. I guess to contain her. She took about 2 months of hiding out in the tall grasses from the flock. She eventually matriculated into the flock but is flighty as well. I named her Lacy. She is now acting like a normal free range hen. I get so much joy in my heart seeing the birds learn how to be birds again. Their combs get bright red, their feathers glow. They get a joy of their own in their voices. Its such a great feeling.

Hello,
Wow! every user name I could think of was taken. And when I get it to accept one I forget the "s" at the end of chicken. Oh well...
I'm wondering if anyone has a video of the haircut process on the silkie.
thank you

I have 3 Silkies, 2 hens and 1 rooster approx 5 months old. One of the hens and the rooster have finally started roosting on their perch for the last week or so, but the other hen seems too fearful to do so and huddles under them on the floor of the coop. She has a lot more feathers on her face and under her beak that the other hen. I am thinking that she may be having problems with seeing well as the other two, as she is also always last to take treats from my hand or when scattered on the ground even though is isn't afraid of me. I a haircut may be helpful. I will give it a try. :)

I have four Silkies, one of which I wouldn't have to cut the hair/feather's around her eyes because SHE HAS NONE! My Silkie Bantam has no puff! Is that normal? Could that happen? They are 8 weeks old and three of them have puffy heads but not baldy! If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will do that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom