Glinda goose can’t stand up suddenlyI found a recipe for probiotics online and I’ve been feeding her

Linniex

Songster
6 Years
Jun 23, 2015
Hi there,
I checked a lot of the threads before posting this one. A lot of people don’t seem to follow up once they figure out what the issue is so I figured I’d start a new thread about my goose. A few days ago I noticed my four-year-old white rescue American buffet goose cannot seem to stand up on her own 2 feet. I can pick her up and move her where ever I want her, and she is eating and drinking just fine. It seems like one of her feet is just trailing behind her. I tried to check and see if it was a tendon that I could move back into place but I can’t feel anything. I found a recipe for probiotics online and I’ve been feeding her that and like I said she’s been eating just fine but she’s kind of just sitting around and can’t move. I did Epson salt in her bath, and she could float around just fine. Any thoughts? I feel terrible but a vet is not in the budget right now. Maybe a miracle will happen but it’s not looking good....

like I said she’s been eating just fine but she’s kind of just sitting around and can’t move.
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry your goose is unwell, a vet is not an option for many of us. :hmm How long has this been going on? You say she is 4... have you had her the whole time? What is she eating on regular basis including food and treats?

Can you post a pic or upload a video to youtube or vimeo and post the link here so we can see her?

Did you feel any heat or swelling on the legs or feet? Did you check the bottom of her feet for any sores?

Epsom baths are great as magnesium absorbs through the skin into the muscles. Careful of them drinking it can also cause diarrhea.

Hope this gets figured out and she recovers quickly! :fl

Thank you so much! I took a quick video and put it up on Youtube, sorry for the quality.

They eat Purina Game Chow; and a lot of greens. I've had Glinda (and her husband, Suwanee) about a year and a half, they where dropped off by their previous family to the pond near our house, but then started hanging out here with us when they realized we have food and chickens. And Suwanee sometimes has issues walking also; but he came to use like that and he seems to get around just fine most days.

The only 'good' thing i'll say about my lame goose is she actually has been snuggling with me; she never did that before but i'm pretty sure its because she can't get away.

What was that comment about her foot? Can you put her in water deep enough she can move her legs and feet? So you can see if she. Moves them or not? Could she have been injured? And is a vet an option?

Husband was saying it just flops down.
Like I said vet is out of budget right now.
I’ll put her in her bigger pool tommorow, it seems like her leg is just hanging

I’d keep her confined so she doesn’t try to walk much if she can. Also think about getting her some liquid b complex and start giving that to her and her mate if she’s eating good out 1 ml 2x a day over a small amount of feed so her and her mate get full dose. Liquid b complex is a good way to support leg health. TSC has it most likely in cattle dept it will say injectable but we give it orally. Durvet is the name.

Back
Top Bottom