Gluten Free Baking (& Cooking) Thread

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Patchesnposies, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    There's a thread on this and I didn't even know til now? Shame on me!

Well, I'll get around to getting up some recipes tomorrow. I've got several decadent desserts that were originally w/wheat flour that I turned gluten free, ah, amazing stuff! Just simply switching flours did not ruin the food's consistency or anything at all, in fact the flavor is so much better too. [​IMG]

I myself am not a Celiac, but a few family members are - I just love cooking and LOVE flours that aren't wheat. So much tastier and more diverse.

3. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Those are some great looking recipes. When I fine tune my homemade buckwheat noodles I will add it to the thread

4. Justme2

Justme2 New Egg

Apr 5, 2011
    Oh Yes and we used Natural Peanut butter on our cookies. It only had peanuts and sea salt for the ingre. Which made them even better.

5. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    I love www.mennonitegirlscancook.blogspot.com. We are not a gluten free home, but I know that there's a gluten free recipe section on that site with some pretty yummy looking recipes.

JustMe2 -- good to know about the natural peanut butter and baking. We've switched over to that kind of peanut butter, but I haven't used it in cookies, yet.

6. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
  7. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Cooked up some black beans this morning and I'm getting ready to bake me a cake. (Boy! That sounds weird. LOL)

Checked out the thread on sufficient self and found the ravings about it irresistible. If I manage to do a decent job of it, I'll post pictures later.

I do have a question for anyone who is dairy intolerant. We recently switched to drinking goats milk when our doe freshened 2 mos. ago. I have not yet, as someone suggested, kept a food diary for my DD, but have noted that she does not react to goats milk. I don't know if this is because it is raw goats milk and unpasteurized, etc...or that GM is more easily digested, or what. If you are lactose intolerant is to both cow and goat's milk?

I have wanted a family cow for a while now. I was hoping that the reactions she is having are due to the white fluid we buy in the store being so adulterated that it is unrecognizable to what first came out of the cow. I can't help but wonder if she would do better with raw cows milk. (I have been unable to find a source for it near us.)

Anyone have any thoughts? Or experience?

8. Patchesnposies

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Okay. This cake is in the oven and is smelling divine! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I was a bit worried because the batter seemed so thin. It is an amazing transformation!

More to come......

9. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Quote:Goats milk is naturally lactose free. So if the sensitivity is to lactose she should not have the problem w/ goats milk. Lactose is the most common problem, I do not know if it is the only one.

10. Patchesnposies

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    This is a wonderful, moist and surprisingly (considering the ingredients!) DELICIOUS cake. It is definitely one I will make again and again. I think you could easily use this cake as the base for any kind of dessert. Chocolate cake with Chocolate frosting, strawberries and cream on top, German Chocolate, Black Forest.....it is truly fantastic. I had to double the recipe for my crew (six kids plus Mom and Pop) and made it quickly using a cookie sheet.

Here is how it turned out:
    [​IMG]

I highly recommend this cake. A big shout out [​IMG] to miss_thenorth for posting this recipe!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by