Gluten Free Baking (& Cooking) Thread

Quote:
Frogdog, I have six kids who will all be thrilled when I try this one out. We are some pumpkin eating people, and I love the idea of having some recipes for family favorites that I can make gluten free.

Thanks for posting this! (I sneaked a peek at it, it looks easy and the reviews say it is fabulous...I'll be trying it soon and will post a picture.)

Quote:
Now this one makes me feel naughty just reading it.

Didn't you see me and Kassaundra's discussion on gluten free gluttony!
wink.png

Quote:
Make these often but also add in a tsp of vanilla, press down with a fork criss-cross and sprinkle with raw sugar!

Last edited:
Gluten free here too. however, I do not do much baking for myself. I found out I was gluten intolerant while I was low carbing it to lose weight. Amazingly my lifelong "condition" that left the doctors stumped cleared up. So I haven't really gone back to baking bread for myself., I make sourdough for my family, they are not GI, but by doing sourdough, it makes the wheat more digestible, --I don't want them to have any problems.

Now, I do make these brownies. They are completely flour free, but you would never know it. They are delicious. Big Brown Horse posted them over at Sufficient Self.com. I ahve made them several times and they are great.
1 C nut butter (peanut, almond, roasted cashews, pecan)
½ C honey
½ tsp baking soda
1 egg
3 – 4 T cocoa
½ C cooked butternut squash mashed until smooth
½ C chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Mix ingredients well. Pour into greased baking pan, bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes
]​

Even though I have made progress in the area of flours and can read labels real well...I am thinking my 10 DD has issues with corn and now suspect dairy too, something I have not really researched (yet) and since her 11th BD is coming up on the 14th I am planning to frost her cake with the coconut/pecan frosting. She loves coconut and this sounds divine.

I'm going to use my GF yellow cake recipe, subbing almond milk for the milk, and smart balance for the butter and adding cocoa to the sugar when I beat it with the eggs. I think I will toast the coconut.

I used the basic recipe as it was and threw in some mini chocolate chips, thinned it down with more goats milk and made pancakes out of it and the kids loved it. It is proving to be very versatile.

If someone does have a GF chocolate cake recipe that they have tried and would recommend I would appreciate if you would post it.

Some wrote in a review of the frosting that it is much like a frosting for German Chocolate Cake.

I have not made this one, but apparently alot of peole over as sufficient self have made it and it is apparently the bomb. go on over there and search for it, and read the comments if you want to try it.
Black Bean Chocolate cake.

*24 hours prior to making this cake, soak 2 cups of black beans in water, with a little bit of raw whey added.
*Cook and cool the beans in fresh water, prior to making the cake.
(Beans may be cooled quickly by rinsing with cold water)
*This method assure that your beans will not cause gastric issue of any kind.
*If you do not have dry beans available to you, you can use one can of rinsed black beans,
*However, I cannot vouch for their not causing gastric distress.
*On to the recipe!
*In your blender, combine the following.

1 1/2 cups of cooked and cooled beans
3 farm fresh eggs
1 tsp of vanilla
1/2 tsp of sea salt
6 Tbls of cocoa powder
1 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of baking soda.

Blend until smooth.
Add the following ingredients.
3/4 cup of honey
7 tbsp of warmed butter
2 eggs.

Blend again till smooth.

*Pour into a buttered pan that has also been "floured" with a bit of cocoa.
*Bake until center just springs back when pressed.

*Allow to fully cool, and ideally, let sit for a few hours prior to serving.
*Serve with a dollop of fresh raw cream and a few sliced strawberries.

Oven temp 350, bake approx 45 minutes if you are using an 8 x 8 baking pan. Use a toothpick to check doneness.​

Quote:

These sound wonderful and like a great way to get more veggies into the kids!

I used to always make sourdough bread for my family. I have heard that sprouted wheat flour is more digestible for those that are wheat intolerant, too. I haven't tried it but have wondered if it were true or if it was a marketing ploy.

I am not celiac's I just know that my symptoms lessen when I don't eat wheat.

I have also wondered about spelt flour, I know it has gluten, but it is supposedly also more easily digested. My 10 year old daughter is such an inspiration to me....she isn't even tempted to eat her old favorites, she says, "Mom, wheat is the enemy." I really admire her!

Edited to fix the grammar. I turn into a pumpkin myself after dusk. It used to be midnight, but I am old now. lol

Last edited:
These reciepes look soooo good especially the flourless ones, I have just lost 18 lbs, this can not lead to any good!!!!!!
gig.gif
tongue2.gif
hide.gif

Quote:

I will go take a look at SS. I have to try this cake for Ellie, her nickname since she was small was Ellie-Bean. She'll crack up when I tell her what is in it!

Back
Top Bottom