Going Outside

jenkassai

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
Hello all!

I *think* it's supposed to be 70 and sunny here tomorrow. Do you think it would be okay to put my peeps out for a bit? They range in age from just under 1 week to just under 4 weeks. I want to clean the brooder and thought they would enjoy it. I might be able to run an extension cord and put my Ecoglow out there with them, but wasn't sure if it would be necessary. Plus I got stuff for dust bathing and thought that might work better outside
wink.png
I really wasn't sure about the temp, and about the teeny peeps going out. But the older peeps were out the weekend before the youngest ones came, so I figure if they got anything the youngest peeps would have been exposed by now, right? I did not quarantine because they all came from the same hatchery.

Thoughts? They are on medicated feed.

Thx!

They'll be fine on sunny windless days.
All that's necessary is for you to play the part of mama hen.

First of all watch for predators, especially the aerial kind.

Secondly, watch your chicks. As long as they are running around being chickens they are fine. If they start bunching up and peeping loudly, they're cold and ready to go back under their heat lamp. Note, this kind of bunching is different from the kind you'll see when you first put them out.That's just scared and they'll get over it quickly.

I have 3 day old babies chicks checking the big world outside with momma hen watching over them. They don't seem to chill and roam around a big part of the day. If they start huddling together in a pile they might be chilled, but I think they will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom