Gold Comet went broody! Got me some fertile eggs! Suggestions?

matimeo

Songster
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
Oregon
So for some reason one of my gold comets got it in her brain to start brooding. I thought it might be short lived, but she's been at it full-time for about four days now. I got my hands on some fertile eggs (comets bred with a RIR rooster) and stuck 14 of them under her butt. She's using one of the next boxes in the coop and the other three hens have been probably climbing on top of her and laying because I still pull out eggs from other chickens out from under her. I put a couple of eggs in the other box and I'm hoping they'll use it (and that she'll stay on those eggs and not move).

So, I'm hoping she'll stick it out for 21 days. I'd rather she wasn't having to share the coop with the others, but I don't want to move her and jinx things. I can make a temporary setup for the other chickens but I don't know if it's necessary. What do you think I should do. I never expected one of my laying breeds to do this. Wife and kids are excited to see if we can hatch some babies.

So for some reason one of my gold comets got it in her brain to start brooding. I thought it might be short lived, but she's been at it full-time for about four days now. I got my hands on some fertile eggs (comets bred with a RIR rooster) and stuck 14 of them under her butt. She's using one of the next boxes in the coop and the other three hens have been probably climbing on top of her and laying because I still pull out eggs from other chickens out from under her. I put a couple of eggs in the other box and I'm hoping they'll use it (and that she'll stay on those eggs and not move).

So, I'm hoping she'll stick it out for 21 days. I'd rather she wasn't having to share the coop with the others, but I don't want to move her and jinx things. I can make a temporary setup for the other chickens but I don't know if it's necessary. What do you think I should do. I never expected one of my laying breeds to do this. Wife and kids are excited to see if we can hatch some babies.

The main problem I've had when other chickens have access to the brood hen is that eggs get broken in the process. This can ruin the incubating eggs because they get covered in yolk and dirt from the bedding. The only way I have any luck is by separating the brood hen from the others.
smile.png

i don't like to move them either- but mark the ones with an x that you will keep and collect the rest of the eggs. If she moves off correct nest, put her back, it is okay if other hens sit on eggs while she is preening so long as she gets back on and extra eggs are removed. remove babies as they hatch so she will sit out all eggs. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom