Golden Laced Wyandotte Thread!

Pics
I personally have never seen that. Was she like that when you got her ? Almost looks like she's been inked. My boys had dark green ink at the top of their beak area that lasted until their combs came in, but my girls  didn't have combs at that age. I can't imagine you causing it though. I would go to the Raising baby chick part of the forum.
Really ? Hmmm I feed all my girls so good ! Maybe I'm giving her to much or lack of something ? I thought it looked different from a normal GLW comb . I need to figure this out ASAP. ! I thought I was doing so good we have 11 hens all healthy .. Guess each breed is different. Thank you!

Really ? Hmmm I feed all my girls so good ! Maybe I'm giving her to much or lack of something ? I thought it looked different from a normal GLW comb . I need to figure this out ASAP. ! I thought I was doing so good we have 11 hens all healthy .. Guess each breed is different. Thank you!

I am not sure how you are taking danceinchicken's reply to impy ANYTHING about diet.

Danceinchicken commented that it "almost looked like" the chicken had been "inked". This is something that hatcheries/breeders occasionally do to tell different chickens apart (cockerels from pullets, most often). It has nothing to do with diet.

Furthermore, danceinchicken observed that yours had greater comb development than average for that age. Again, this does not point to a dietary deficiency. Dietary deficiencies result in slower growth. It could be that your bird is actually a cockerel, was inked, but someone made a mistake sorting. It could be that your bird is indeed a pullet, and she just has some nonstandard genetics - when I was fostering my neighbor's GLWs as pullets, we had one that had a comb at the same age as yours - my daughter was hopeful (!) that it was a rooster, but it just turned out that the girl is not true to breed: she has a regular comb, not a pea comb. Clearly not show quality, but hey, she lays eggs, and lays them where she's supposed to. :D

I am not sure how you are taking danceinchicken's reply to impy ANYTHING about diet.

Danceinchicken commented that it "almost looked like"  the chicken had been "inked".  This is something that hatcheries/breeders occasionally do to tell different chickens apart (cockerels from pullets, most often).  It has nothing  to do with diet.

Furthermore, danceinchicken observed that yours had greater comb development than average for that age.  Again, this does not point to a dietary deficiency.  Dietary deficiencies result in slower growth.  It could be that your bird is actually a cockerel, was inked, but someone made a mistake sorting.  It could be that your bird is indeed a pullet, and she just has some nonstandard genetics - when I was fostering my neighbor's GLWs as pullets, we had one that had a comb at the same age as yours - my daughter was hopeful (!) that it was a rooster, but it just turned out that the girl is not true to breed:  she has a regular comb, not a pea comb.  Clearly not show quality, but hey, she lays eggs, and lays them where she's supposed to.  :D
First of all thank you to both of you! She/ he was in the pullet bin. I understand there can be mistakes. She is from the feed store. So I went back to baby pics she was 48 hrs on July 16 here are pics of comb . I need to research inked. This is interesting. Learn something new on BYC everyday. I'm so glad I can gather information from all the experienced :)) I will be doing some homework tonight! Last time I went to this feed store I didn't see some things I liked!!! However I have a lovely flock so far. Let me know if you have any other thoughts . Thanks a million !!

Last edited:
I personally have never seen that. Was she like that when you got her ? Almost looks like she's been inked. My boys had dark green ink at the top of their beak area that lasted until their combs came in, but my girls  didn't have combs at that age. I can't imagine you causing it though. I would go to the Raising baby chick part of the forum.

Danceinchicken commented that it "almost looked like"  the chicken had been "inked".  This is something that hatcheries/breeders occasionally do to tell different chickens apart (cockerels from pullets, most often).  It has nothing  to do with diet.

Furthermore, danceinchicken observed that yours had greater comb development than average for that age.  Again, this does not point to a dietary deficiency.  Dietary deficiencies result in slower growth.  It could be that your bird is actually a cockerel, was inked, but someone made a mistake sorting.  It could be that your bird is indeed a pullet, and she just has some nonstandard genetics - when I was fostering my neighbor's GLWs as pullets, we had one that had a comb at the same age as yours - my daughter was hopeful (!) that it was a rooster, but it just turned out that the girl is not true to breed:  she has a regular comb, not a pea comb.  Clearly not show quality, but hey, she lays eggs, and lays them where she's supposed to.  :D

First of all thank you to both of you! She/ he was in the pullet bin. I understand there can be mistakes. She is from the feed store. So I went back to baby pics she was 48 hrs on July 16 here are pics of comb . I need to research inked. This is interesting. Learn something new on BYC everyday. I'm so glad I can gather information from all the experienced :)) I will be doing some homework tonight! Last time I went to this feed store I didn't see some things I liked!!! However I have a lovely flock so far. Let me know if you have any other thoughts . Thanks a million !!
I just took these pics. I also felt her comb almost leathery.

Last edited:
I need breed standard glws, if there is anyone on this thread that can help me, please Im me. Such a pretty bird, lays well. Hatchery birds are OK but... we want to help revive them the right way. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom