Good bird bad tummy

supernix

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Ok well I killed my first chicken and cleaned it and cooked it.
It was a gross experience but I made it through. Definately not for the faint of heart.

While I did a great job at skinning it feathers and all, but me and the wife just could not hardly stand to eat it after thinking about the fact it was a living clucking chicken four hours prior.
roll.png

Maybe next time stick it in the freezer for awhile and let the memory fade. We are getting meat birds in a couple of weeks and I plan on not eating them for a little while so I can mentally "let them go" I'm a softy though. I really like the idea of hormone free, healthy chicken on my dinner table. I'm sure I will get past it once I smell it cooking... lol..cant wait.
tongue.png

Honestly I have no idea what breed it was at all. I got it from my uncle in law Kenny. He said I could have whatever I caught so I got her and braught her home. She was not very old and was certainly on a nest when I caught her.

* That's actually not a bad idea!! --an "eating chicken" exchange. . . I had the same problem when I had rabbits. Kinda hard to serve up one I knew well. Unless it was a pest, anyway.

Ah, let us know how the eating comes out. If she was on a nest, she was probably at least 5 months old. My guess is it would be pretty tough, yet flavorful if slow cooked.

I am a softy too. I plan on getting some meat birds, but I am going to take them to place to be processed.

I have been mentally preparing myself already. I keep telling myself that my birds will have fresh air, sunlight, and experience being a chicken.

I am finding it harder and harder to eat store bought chicken when I see my own flock running in the back yard and i know the store bought chicken never saw the light of day, had half of it's beak removed, was in a crowed cage it's whole life. That just makes me sad.

Good luck on eating your bird.

Put it on a rotissory and "set it and forget it." lol
Just kidding.My kids are the same way,Wife too.
They won't eat anything we raise.
I'm just the opposite.i was raised on a farm and grew up with the understanding that livestock is for food.But I agree it dosen't make it any easier.
hit.gif

It was a little difficult on the first bird I did a couple weeks ago. However, I got over that a couple days later and was able to eat it. I processed four more of my meat birds today. By the second one, it felt more like a job and the thought of killing the animal did not bother me. Maybe I am a sicko but while cutting them up, all I could think about was how I was going to cook them.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom