Good brand of treats/what to look for in treats?

GertrudeLover01

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Murfreesboro, TN
I'm trying to train my 22 week old pullets (3) and I don't have treats!!! I am such a bad mother!!! Any ideas?? I want them to sit/squat and come when i call....any tips/ideas?? Thanks so much!!

Well...I can tell you are not a bad mommy or you wouldn't want to play with your babies!
For treats what worked for me was anything I was eating (though don't limit yourself too much. I'm a vegetarian and chickens are not) put through the food processor to a more small bird friendly size. If you sit in the coop or run or whatever, hold it in your hand they will come. They can't help it, they are little greedy-guts. ALWAYS when you are bringing them food, filling their feeders etc, call out to them. They will soon associate you with their food. I did this through the months when I wasn't gardening. Now that I'm in the yard for reasons other than feeding them, they follow me everywhere. They will squat so I can pick them up, they will follow me in to the house to the delight of my invalid mother. My ladies like yogurt, cottage cheese, warm oatmeal with all manner of seeds fruits etc...You're gonna have a blast!

Well...I can tell you are not a bad mommy or you wouldn't want to play with your babies!
For treats what worked for me was anything I was eating (though don't limit yourself too much. I'm a vegetarian and chickens are not) put through the food processor to a more small bird friendly size. If you sit in the coop or run or whatever, hold it in your hand they will come. They can't help it, they are little greedy-guts. ALWAYS when you are bringing them food, filling their feeders etc, call out to them. They will soon associate you with their food. I did this through the months when I wasn't gardening. Now that I'm in the yard for reasons other than feeding them, they follow me everywhere. They will squat so I can pick them up, they will follow me in to the house to the delight of my invalid mother. My ladies like yogurt, cottage cheese, warm oatmeal with all manner of seeds fruits etc...You're gonna have a blast!

thanks so much!!!

Back
Top Bottom