1. CJClucks

CJClucks Chirping

May 21, 2018
    North Texas
    I’ve been talking with someone about buying this 6x8 coop for $300. I realize some minor things made need to be done but overall do you think it’s a good purchase? We were going to build one but this would be less expensive than the one we were planning & eliminates the build time. My chickens free range so I have coop only now, no run. My current coop only holds 5 chickens so wanting something larger. What are thoughts on the floor not being a solid surface? Maybe I could put rubber mats or something down? (If necessary)

Attached Files:

True Patriot likes this.
  2. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    I would get him to lower it to $200....... I bet he just wants to get rid of it until you showed up all happy with a big smile on your face, which turned his eyes into dollar signs.

beccaWA likes this.
  3. CJClucks

CJClucks Chirping

May 21, 2018
    North Texas
    I’ve thought about offering less but I’m a terrible negotiator. Lol. So far we’ve only communicated through fb. I asked for additional pictures then said I was going to talk to my husband. She originally had it listed for $400 & has lowered to $300.

cavemanrich likes this.
  4. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    That’s a great buy! All you need is to sanitize it, maybe add some more ventilation, some new roosts and nest boxes and it will be perfect.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  5. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Free Ranging

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Only suggestion on my part is........... add chickens.
    I would not do anything to floor. I think the gaps enhance airflow and dryness. :thumbsup
    EXCELLENT VALUE...
    WISHING YOU BEST ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    I think it could be a good buy though you'll want to check the condition of the wood (make sure there's no rot or obvious signs of damage). Otherwise it looks pretty usable. The floor and wall gaps, check on how large those are, because anything over 1/2" is just begging for mice to come in. Same with the roof, make sure any gaps are either covered with wire mesh, or plan on covering those.

Trish1974, townchicks and CJClucks like this.
  7. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Free Ranging

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I have NO MICE. :idunno
    STILL WONDERING WHY...
    [​IMG]

8. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    For $300 you have a real good start. It looks like it could use more ventilation.

9. beccaWA

beccaWA Songster

Feb 22, 2012
    Eastern WA
    Looks good, but I'd offer less, and mean it. Here, you can get free coops/sheds that can be made into nice coops on Craigslist for free. It also appears that the large side windows have wire over them, so you could take off the solid cover part and have your ventilation. It looks like chicken wire, though, so you'd want to replace with hardware cloth. Also, since it's on stilts, you can wrap flashing around the top foot of those legs and prevent mice/snakes, etc. from climbing up the legs. I wrapped the bottom 8 inches or so of my ground level coop with flashing. It helps.

10. townchicks

townchicks Crowing

Dec 1, 2016
    Contra Costa county, Ca.
    Way better and bigger than a $300 prefab would be. As long as there is no rot in the wood, go for it. It might need some tweaking but it looks good, over all.

Squeakles, beccaWA, CJClucks and 2 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: