good idea to buy a duck from a tractor supply company store?????

4hducklover

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 18, 2010
wondering if it would be cheaper to get a call duck from our local tsc store!!!! hmmmmmm? wondering if i should call a breeder or what? and wen is a good time to get them? and is it easy to hatch eggs or just get a duckling?
jumpy.gif

Ducks at the feed store are usually 5 dollars a peice. I'm not sure what feed store you go to, but at TSC here they only have ducklings and chicks in the spring (late March-May). Also I have never seen any call ducks at the feed store.

But if they did have call Ducks and you were going to get them, they should be fine. Just look at the way they look, make sure they are active and bright eyed. I got 9 ducks and 6 Chickens from TSC this year and none of them died and i haven't had a problem with them.

If you can't get them at the feed store, then try craigslist or just look around, around here there are always people selling ducklings. Just saying.... If you would somehow end up getting a Pekin Duck instead, do not let it go into a pond or some area of deep water that they wouldn't be able to stand in until they have ALL of there feathers in, because they would drown. Good Luck with your ducks!

We have bought few run's of pekin's in past from TSC and got new one's this year along with TOOOOO many mallard's.They have done Very well and We Lost NONE of them as babie's.Call duck's are harder to get and they usualy require getting them from a breeder or buying the duckling's from hatchery.Raising baby call's I have found are a bit harder as duckling's.They are very tiny and learned the hard way don't try to brood them with standard duck's.I bought 6 adult call's a couple years ago and they did great.I've raised Hundred's of duckling's and duck's but if you get baby call's just keep them sep. for a few month's at least.

yeah! thanks for the info! i am thinking about betting pekins for showmanship would that be a good idea!? or are they not good at showmanship?
hmm.png

To be honest with you it is better to but from a localy run feed store than a franchise, It's like going to a mom and pop store rather than a Wal-Mart.
Also getting to know breeders and getting in touch with them is a lot more fun than going to TSC.

Back
Top Bottom