Good roosters?

bawkbawkbawkbawk

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2018
unfortionatly, my rooster didn’t make it through the nasty winter. We’re looking to get a new one, we need one that’s not huge. Does anyone know a breed that’s typically friendly and good in the cold? I know that it really depends on the chicken but I’ve had better luck with some breeds more than others.

First, why do you want a rooster? Breeding or a pet? Why do you want a smaller rooster?

Do you want a bantam? D'uccles are supposed to be nice, and Cochins (pekins) are good.

Welsummers, Australorps, BuffOrps, and Salmon Faverolles all come highly recommended, but they're larger standard sized chickens. I've had good luck with Easter Egger roosters. Cochin (standards) are pretty big and I've only once heard of a mean one.

First, why do you want a rooster? Breeding or a pet? Why do you want a smaller rooster?

Do you want a bantam? D'uccles are supposed to be nice, and Cochins (pekins) are good.

Welsummers, Australorps, BuffOrps, and Salmon Faverolles all come highly recommended, but they're larger standard sized chickens. I've had good luck with Easter Egger roosters. Cochin (standards) are pretty big and I've only once heard of a mean one.
we had a D’uccle and he was the one that died. This winter has been really harsh on our bantams, we want them for pets. We want a small one because if he had a big one then I would worry he would hurt the bantam hens.

I also had a D’uccle really rooster die this winter, I couldn’t figure it out. Anyway one breed that has impressed me beyond belief is cochin bantam. They are very tough and half the time don’t even use their nest box.

I also had a D’uccle really rooster die this winter, I couldn’t figure it out. Anyway one breed that has impressed me beyond belief is cochin bantam. They are very tough and half the time don’t even use their nest box.
Ok, those ones were one of the breeds that I was thinking about

Back
Top Bottom