Good vibes in Colorado: Now the Bungie & Uno story

Oh my, I'm so sorry Wifezilla!
hugs.gif
How hard to loose her so suddenly. Poor Bungie too.
hit.gif

Oh man, that stinks! It sucks when life throws you a curve-ball. I hope you find a new friend for Bungie soon. And, that you have much better luck with your ducks in the future!

hugs.gif

In another week I think I can put Uno with Bungie. I will ave to start introducing them slowly and see how it goes. Bungie is not agressive, so it might work.

Quote:
LOL...oh no you don't! If she needs ducks she's gotta take mine! LOL...
lau.gif

Is Colorado overrun with ducklings yet? If not - it will be!
gig.gif

Quote:
LOL...oh no you don't! If she needs ducks she's gotta take mine! LOL...
lau.gif

Is Colorado overrun with ducklings yet? If not - it will be!
gig.gif

I know you're doing your part to make sure that Colorado is the DUCK and GOOSE capital of the world!!!

LOL

We'll have to see where I end up on the boy vs girl front. I wont be getting any more until I can get SEXED ducklings.

I have 5 ducks and only 2 are earning their keep
tongue.png

Hi all
big_smile.png

I haven't updated in a while. None of my other ducks came down with any symptoms so we went ahead and introduced Bungie to Uno. They are doing well. Uno took to Bungie right away. Bungie had to do the "I r the boss" thing and flopped his neck over Uno. There was a big size difference so we had to watch that carefully. After about a week, Uno grew enough and they had had enough play sessions where they got upset if they were separated, that we decided to let them move in together.

They are in the brooder "closet" on the patio. We let them out during the day to play. Unfortunately, if we aren't standing with them, Jack comes over and tries to take a bite
tongue.png

Even though it has been 2 months since we got Bungie and almost 2 weeks since Uno has been playing in the back yard, Jack is showing no signs of letting them join "his" flock.

Hubby has been putting Jack to bed early so the little ducks can play unmolested. A few times Chrissy and Lana were still out and just Jack went to the pen early. Neither of them bothered the little ducks.

I have had someone interested in doing some trading, so I may trade Jack and Lana for some wire cages. This solves a couple of issues.

1) I will have cages for the times I need to transport animals
2) I will have cages that can be used for quail
big_smile.png

3) Both of Uno's biological parents will be gone so no inbreeding issues
4) I wont have to worry about Lana pissing off the neighbors because she is so FREAKING LOUD!

If the trade goes through, then I will go ahead and order the Welsh Harlequin girls I have been wanting and then I wont have to care if Uno and Bungie are girls or boys. My only problem then would be a lack of fresh eggs over the summer. Lana and Chrissy together barely cover our egg usage. Just Chrissy alone isn't going to be able to keep up
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quail! Interesting! I hear those eggs are delicious, have you tried them? And in a lot of ways they are easier to deal with than ducks because they just stay in a cage.
Sometimes doing some clearing out is really helpful, emotionally difficult, but helpful. I just sent my freeloading drakes away last weekend, a three hour round trip drive through on a dark overcast and rainy day with me me crying and the hens all upset at home - what a gloomy weekend!
I tried to tell myself this is what people who own livestock have to deal with, but it's still not easy.
But now the one hen isn't getting her feathers torn out, I'm not getting hasseled by a testerone driven maniac, and I don't have to keep two groups of ducks separated with the drakes making noise all night. I can see my hens are adjusting, they are quacking a lot less than at first and one has totally thrown herself into brooding a batch of eggs. So at this point it's clear we are going to be alright and I am looking forward to doing some new things with my ducks that wouldn't have been possible otherwise!

I haven't tried quail eggs yet. Since I like duck eggs as well as chicken eggs, I imagine I will like these as well.

I have eaten grouse and I think quail would taste similar...so that is another plus
big_smile.png

Doing the right thing does make you sad. I hate that part. I will miss Jack, but I feel really good that his most favorite girl is going with him if this trade goes through. She really does love him.

Back
Top Bottom