Goose acts depressed or sick after he had Penis Prolapse Help

TerriL188

Songster
Apr 6, 2018
Holden, Missouri
Three or 4 months ago my Chinese Goose had a prolapse penis, I took him to the vet they got it back in and after a couple of weeks he was fine and I let him go back with his flock. They gave him a little trouble after being gone but it didn't last long and he went back to being the low man on the totem pole. Since then I have noticed he seems off, when the other 3 geese are flapping their wing and just making all kinds of noise he stand a little bet away and make a noise I have never heard him make its like a high pitched but barely audible I don't know what. The other three geese, there is one boy and a mother and daughter. The mother is the mother of the boy and girls geese, the goose that is sick I have had for 5 years, He was born here. I purchased the others so he would not be alone and although he has always been a laid back guy this is different. The others get their wings flapping like they think they are going somewhere and run down the driveway like they are going to take off he sits and pecks at the grass. He eats good and he gets around good but he is just not right. His head has changed, he had a nice rounded head, on the Chinese geese just before the knob they have and above the eye his head is now dipped a little. When he swims algae or water will get in there and accumulate so that when he is walking around the algae drys in there and looks lilke a wound but its not. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate your help. Maybe vitamins or something. Thanks Terri

I wonder if perhaps he has a systemic infection related to the penis prolapse. Have you handled him to make sure that he is not losing weight ? You appear to have an emotional attachment to him so a visit to the vet might be in order. Good luck at defining and resolving his problem.

Do you think that kind of infection could be a problem for the 4 months since he had the prolapse without killing him? I don't know much about those things I am glad I have people like the ones on this site to help me. Yes I do care for all my babies, I have animals for companions. I will try to catch him and check his weight, that's a good thought. I will take him to the vet but I am on social security and I have to wait until I get my next check. I thank God that my vet tries not to charge me more than he has too.

I just wanted to update my post. I took my good to the Vet, thinking it might be a systemic infection I knew I could not wait any longer. He checked his poop and didn't find anything there, his lungs sounded rough and his breathing was not good. So it looks like pneumonia. Since I don't handle the geese at all I didn't notice his breathing, I feel very bad that I did not catch it sooner. If Sourland had not mentioned a systemic infection which got me moving, it could have been very bad for my Goose Jack. Thank you Sourland for responding to my Post. Terri

Back
Top Bottom