Goose cut head now shaking help please

ReindeerStationFarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 17, 2011
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, my son noticed that our Chinese Weeder gander had blood on his head. We caught him and I checked the site which is on the top/back of his head on the right side. It didn't seem terrible. Was not a gaping wound. Just a few drops of blood. I cleaned it and put on Peter's Rabbit's Wound care which says it's for small animal wounds. It's a topical antimicrobial wash. He seemed fine. Was hard to catch. We're not sure what happened to him...possibly he bit the German Shepherd one too many times? Not sure, seems like it would be a bigger wound?

Anyway, a couple hours later I was watching him the pool washing himself. I noticed he was cautious about his head. He wasn't putting it under the water. When he got out and was preening he was shaking and then after that when he and the goose went to take a nap he was still shaking.

Do you think he's in shock? If so, what can I do? It's our first cold day (50s) but I can't believe he's cold b/c of the cold but maybe it's making the shock worse? Should I bring him inside? They sleep outside in a dog pen that has hay in the bottom and is covered with a tarp. Last night it got in the 30s and probably will tonight too. I'm thinking maybe I should bring the cage inside for the night? Anything else I can do for him? I googled injured goose and didn't find much. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Céleste
Reindeer Station Farm

Perhaps he has a more serious head injury, or even another injury that you didn't see last time you looked. It does sounds like he isn't right.

Keepiing him warm sounds like a good plan.

Thanks! Here's an update: We've been bring in both goose and gander at night b/c it's been cold. I've been bathing the wound on top of his head with a solution of vanodine and then putting nfz puffer on it to ward off infection. The morning after the attack he was shaking a little in the morning when we let him out but soon stopped. He's been very cautious putting his head under water. We picked them dandelions and clover (their favorites) in case he'd eat it if he didn't have to work to get it. They free range so they can eat whatever they want and are fed pellets twice a day (which I soaked so he wouldn't have to dunk his head to eat them if he didn't want to.) So far he seems to be eating mostly the greens though he's starting to act more like himself, flapping his wings and squawking and waddling around.

We did find a second scratch under his chin that didn't break the skin but took off feathers. We're thinking a hawk tried to get him. We did lose a chicken to hawks last year and my husband has seen them divebomb the chickens. The geese are a lot less leery of danger than the hens seem to be. Instead of running for cover if they see something fly overhead they just cock one eye up to watch it.

An odd thing...before this the gander was getting aggressive with us (and they pick on the German Shepherd unmercifully, ganging up on him and trapping him against the door...he knows he would get in trouble for retaliating so he usually just yaps at them until someone comes rescue him). Anyway, since I have to bath his head every morning he hasn't come after anyone...not sure if it's because he doesn't feel well enough or because he knows we're trying to help. B/c he DOES seem to know that as he doesn't struggle during his treatments and actually seems to like having his head bathed. It's like he knows that part of his head hurts and you're trying to make it feel better. I don't know...people tend to give animals more credit for feelings and understanding than they actually have a lot of times, but I think sometimes we don't give them *enough* credit. Anyway, just an observation.

Céleste
Reindeer Station Farm

Back
Top Bottom