Goose diapers?

Nettie here on BYC make poultry diapers (Including geese), so you can order them at: www.indoorducks.com
I'm gonna order mine soon!
wink.png

Quote:
I just wash them by hand, using a mild detergent like shampoo. Very easy. Occasionally they need a scrubbing - I use a nail brush.

Any thoughts on having geese in the house? Does it help them bond even more? Mine have already imprinted me as Mom and they hang out with me when I'm doing yard work.

I've previously only had outdoor geese. It broke my heart just leaving them outside when they so obviously wanted to be with me inside. Last year I got a gosling and diapered him. He even slept in my bed. As he was a lone gosling I never left him alone for the first 3 or 4 months.

I can't say whether he has bonded more than he otherwise would have. I would never keep a lone gosling as an outside pet. The other geese I had were two at a time, and they ended up on the Christmas table when they were about 3-5 months old, so they were still just large goslings in their behaviour. I've never had a real grown-up goose before.

All I can say is that an adult goose is way more independent than goslings. Mine gradually wanted to stay outside more and more, and now he is outside almost all the time. He feels really safe in the yard and mostly comes running to me now when something scares him or he wants a treat.

http://www.flightquarters.com/bird-diapers/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AFF&Category_Code=DGD

I started my goose on the diapers from flightquarters/the goose's mother. They are really small in the diaper area and not at all leak proof. I like Nettie's diapers much better (the ones DuckLover179 mentions) and they're all I use now. They diaper area is big enough for making the diaper pad into a pouch, which helps the goose stay clean. The load of poop mostly doesn't even touch the goose's butt. For a grown goose I pad them with half a size 6 diaper. And the leak guard is wonderful!​

I dunno , duck diapering is one thing, they don't live that long, but a goose can live 30+ years....? LOTTA DIAPER Changes!
hu.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
It's really not that bad. I use 5 or 6 diapers a day when he's inside all day (which he very rarely is), and a diaper change takes about 30 seconds. A gosling of course requires more changing since it eats and poops more than an adult.

There's a pattern for chicken diaper harnesses here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/69806/giving-a-free-chicken-diaper-pattern-w-pix

Another way to go is buy a harness and use it as a pattern. I bought those great harnesses Nettie made, but as she's not making them anymore, my dear mother was sweet-talked into making a few copies (I can't sew if my life depended on it), using Nettie's harnesses as the pattern. They turned out very well.

Here is Keld featuring his mom-made diaper harness:

There are pictures of the same style harness alone here: http://indoorducks.com/DHInfo.html

The material is "swimsuit fabric" and between the two layers of the pouch there's some kind of thin waterproof plastic (leak guard).

Back
Top Bottom