Goose sleeping on eggs

You bet.. the ones being slept on will be more developed than those still being laid... causing a staggered hatch (and usually death to the early or late hatchers)... if the embryos even survive the daily temp swings when she is not sleeping or broody. This is at least my understanding.

With chickens.. we collect ALL the eggs daily... leaving fakes or duds if you wish, until the broody happens... setting all eggs we wish to hatch at the same time so they can develop and hatch together. If there are other birds who could make fresh deposits... the hatching eggs are marked clearly so new deposits can be collected nightly and allow maximum chance of survival to intended hatchlings.

Also, in chickens and it seems like it should be the same across the board... how many eggs is in the nest isn't what "makes" them go broody. It is purely hormonal... some have it others don't. But, I do leave fakes so the hens don't presume a predator is getting the eggs and refuse to sit there.

Maybe someone with actual goose experience will give you a different answer. I don't know much about their behavior and nest sleeping. Some of my hens give start throwing broody signals before they are full on ready.. about 3 days prior.

Are the eggs fertile?
Good luck! :jumpy:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom