Got a few chicks today!...please help confirm the breeds

bethandjoeync

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Iron Station, NC
Joey was looking around on craigslist and came across a listing for baby chicks at various weeks old. at a very low price. so we called because he was in the same town as we are. and we started looking at the breeds he said he had.
we went and he had a lot of chicks from 1 week old to 10 weeks old and adults as well. we wanted to add a little more diversity to our growing flock so we got two different breeds of 6-ish week olds. we got 3 Araucanas (I asked if they were really just EEs and he said they are Araucanas so we will see) and 3 Barnevelders. Can you help us confirm these breeds please. (we just want an idea of what they really are, purebred chicks aren't something we are striving for just diversity)

Araucanas
25635_new_chicks_013.jpg

25635_new_chicks_012.jpg

Barnevelders (thinking double laced)
25635_new_chicks_011.jpg

25635_new_chicks_003.jpg

their feathers are pretty chewed, they were in a pretty small space for the amount that were together so I imagine more pecking was going on that if they had enough room to run around. and they are way smaller than my 6 week olds that have had lots of room to run around. we won't be able to put them with the others for at least a week or two.

Last edited:
Many araucana breeders keep tailed birds in their flocks--it helps with fertility as that can be an issue with rumpless birds. However my first thought was EE, also, because of low price and Craigs List, then I looked at the photos and said--well maybe.

Quote:
because it was located near us, we figured we go check it out. the guy was so nice. He said he got the Barnies from an exclusive breeder here in NC and the Araucanas are from McMurry (more of a reason to think they are just EEs)

they are EE's,looks like the one on the left has had it's tail feathers plucked/broken(rumpless looks different)....and since they came from McMurray that seals the deal.
I don't know about the Barnevelders, don't have any experience with them.
good luck with them.
oh, and you really should not put them with the rest of your birds for at LEAST 30 days. A proper quarantine period could save your flock.....and your heartache

Quote:
this is just what my new ones look like, but smaller of course. I don't think mine were handled very much, but seem to already take to us a little bit

Back
Top Bottom